Audi A3

Chris.m

Not getting the shock absorber done, I'm getting springs done at the garage I purchased the car as they are paying for it!,I will then get the tracking done because that's the done thing after the suspension has been done am I correct?, and as the other rear tyre is pretty much brand new does it not make sense to put the same tyre on the side that is worn ?

Cliff raises good points Chris.

Wheel alignment is lucrative, and this expensive equipment needs to earn its keep. It can ( and probably not always) be used and operated by tyre fitters who have had some basic training on this sophisticated equipment by the supplier, and may or may not appreciate the finer points of particular vehicle's suspension adjustments - which can be complex. Perhaps it's just me experiencing the steering wheel being off centre after alignment adjustment. This is really ABC learning, and not appreciating that this is inevitable if you only adjust at one side! You would need to keep evetything crossed if the same person was let loose on the rear adjustment! Still, perhaps it's best not to listen too much to my pessimistic views on such things. 

I would put money on it that the tyre on the back with uneven wear has spent most of its life on the front of the car, and has not worn like that because it has been on the back.  Not unusual for used car dealers to do this sort of swopping. 

If you are going to have this alignment adjusted - and would I, without first putting an even tyre on the back and seeing what happens ??? - then I would most certainly get this alignment carried out only via.the people fitting the springs, otherwise you will leave any subsequent issues of tyre wear to debate between them and the alignment company you are going to use. 'Not me gov"! 

Not sure what you mean by putting the same tyre on the side that is worn.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Ok I'm getting where you are coming from but the garage I have bought the car from are doing the springs free of charge for me they can do the tracking for me but they don't have the equipment to optiline it,so I'll get springs and tracking done while car is there,

The only reason I'm thinking of getting it optilined is that 2 mechanics from the garage I normally use for my work checked it today and said the camber looks more on the side that is lower by the knacked eye if by having the springs done sorts this issue I have out  then I will have no need to get it optilined I'm just thinking ahead.

Because it has one worn tyre and one brand new tyre on the back does it not make sense to get a new one on the side that is worn so I have 2 new tyres which should then wear the same in due course .

Kind regards 

Chris 

Sorry Chris, now understand what you mean with the tyres.

I would indeed do what you suggest, - shopping around for the same make and tread pattern. I'm sure the car dealer will point you in the right direction since it is likely they put that new tyre on the one side.

Good luck with it all.

Kind regards,

Gareth.