Q5 headlights

AsianPanda

Hi guys first time here and hoping to get some info/help on possibly swapping headlights.

I have 2.0 se tdi 2010. The headlights are non xenon single beam. I would love to swap these to the xenon headlights with led DRL.

Does anyone know if this can be done, is it a straight swap? Would love to install the led rear lights.

Any help or advice on this would be great.

Chrome-Front-font-b-Headlight-b-font-Head-Light-Lamp-Cover-Trim-For-font-b-AUDI.jpg

$_1.JPG

2011-audi-q5-quattro-4-door-3-2l-premium-plus-tail-light_100320720_l.jpg

Interesting project - have you managed to find a pair of the lights as I imagine they cost a fortune from Audi?

Don't forget to make it 100% legit you will also need the headlight washers and auto levelling to work so not exactly a straightforward upgrade!

Getting the lights doesn't appear to be the issue, it's more the installation of them. Headlights will most likely be a pain as you said;

7 minutes ago, James said:

Interesting project - have you managed to find a pair of the lights as I imagine they cost a fortune from Audi?

Don't forget to make it 100% legit you will also need the headlight washers and auto levelling to work so not exactly a straightforward upgrade!

But I would assume the rear lights should be straight forward swap???

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It is a project that for the moment in no rush.

I would say in principle yes, you would need to see if the wiring loom is the same. Also, my guess is they would likely require some coding.

Just as a thought - may be worth phoning Audi and asking for a quote to change them, then ask them to break down what they're charging for and it would give you and idea of the parts/coding required.

That's not a bad idea even if I can already guess what price Audi will quote me for just the lights..... ££££'s minus labour.

I might just do what you have suggested, all else fails I'll keep the lights as they are and move on to plan B lol

James, this may sound like a really daft question but.... I seen some HID kits on eBay and would consder fitting them to my current headlights as opposed to swapping out the whole headlight. Do you know if this can be done or is there some kind of specific bulb needed as these are single non xenon headlights?

On 4/25/2016 at 2:07 PM, AsianPanda said:

James, this may sound like a really daft question but.... I seen some HID kits on ebay and would consder fitting them to my current headlights as opposed to swapping out the whole headlight. Do you know if this can be done or is there some kind of specific bulb needed as these are single non xenon headlights?

Yes, it's possible but legally a grey area. You're supposed to have headlight washers and automatic levelling to be completely legit. Some people do it anyway and get away with it but clearly that's up to you if you want to take the risk.

You would need to check the type of bulb you need (probably H7 if you have halogen lights I would think) and being an Audi it will need to be a canbus compatible kit so that it doesn't trigger and bulb warning lights on the dash. Also check how the current bulb fits in - if it's just a spring clip then the standard hid kit H7 will be OK, if it pushes or twists in or uses some sort of adaptor, then you may have to buy adapters to get the bulb to fit. You will be required to drill the bulb covers in the back of the headlights too, so that the cable can pass through to go to the ballast. 

They usually offer a choice of bulb colour - 4300K is OEM, 5000k is pure white, 6000k has a hint of blue. Personally I like 5000k but that's just my preference.

Hope that helps.