Weird lock problem - Avant tailgate

94Miles

Hi

I have just bought my 2008 A4 Avant B8 which has a few niggles.  Most of which I just have to go ahead and fix but this one is strange.

I do a general unlock of the car with the key fob but am unable to open the tailgate manually by just squeezing the membrane (between the number plate and the rings)

I CAN pop the tailgate using the boot opening button on the fob.  If I then close the tailgate again I cant open it manually.  The membrane switch seems unresponsive (no clicks or anything)

However if I press the membrane switch when the tailgate is open I can hear the lock click.  In fact if I manually close the lock with the tailgate open and then press the membrane switch it pops open again.

So why doesn't it work when the tailgate is shut???????  I have never had one of these cars before so perhaps I am missing something obvious.

Thanks, Keith.

Hello Keith from the north Homeland, 

Thanks for being in touch. Strange! 

I’m not claiming this is the cause, but it’s worth pulling back the fluted harness cover twixt the body and the tailgate, and carefully examining all the individual leads. This section of the harness takes a hammering with opening and closing of the tailgate, ams wires can break/partly break, and cause issues. 

At best, it’s a quick and easy elimination point to follow. Logic may suggest partly broken wires could be in better contact with the tailgate lifted. 

If all is well there, then I would suggest looking around the button area. Water ingress? 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. 

I was interested in your theories so went out to try something.  I just popped the tailgate with the fob but didn't lift it, so it was literally 5mm from being closed.

If I squeeze the membrane switch the lock clicks.  I'll certainly look at it further but I don't think think we have the solution just yet ☹️

Cheers, Keith

Thanks Keith,

Yes, sounds like you understandably still have the problem.

‘...don’t think we have a solution just yet’. 

Perhaps you could come back to us when you have inspected the suggested areas. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

SOLVED

This turned out to have a very simple solution.  In the MMI CAR options there is a setting for tailgate.  With it on the external switch is disabled and you can only open it with the fob.  With it off the external switch is enabled.

Hope that helps someone else.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

Hello Keith,

Many thanks indeed for the feedback of information. Regrettably, this is rare, and others affected by the same issues, have no idea of how the matter was resolved - or not. 

Many thanks again Keith for keeping the forum updated. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.