Steering column squeak

Marcin Z

Hello, 

I am hoping to get a bit of advice. There is a squeak when turning the steering wheel. It is not super loud, but it is annoying. The squeak seems to be coming from the steering column, just below the steering wheel, but I am not 100% sure. It is there when I turn the steering wheel "normally" or fast. If I turn it super slowly then it is not there. The steering is still very light at lower speeds and a bit more resistive at higher speeds, which I guess is how it should be. No issues with driving/steering except for the annoying squeak. Has anyone come across this? The car is a 2005 A6 3.2 saloon.

Edited by Marcin Z

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update in case anyone comes across similar problem. After removing parts of plastic trim around the steering wheel/column and above the pedals it became clear that the sound is actually coming from the part where the steering column enters the floor/bulkhead. There is a metal plate surrounded by a rubber part. The steering column goes into that metal plate. Some gentle prodding and plenty of lubricant in that area, especially under the edges of the rubber part seem to have sorted it out and the squeak appears to be gone, so I consider it fixed (at least for now).

• Like 2

I had a 2016 A4 Avant that had this squeak. Only heard using small steering inputs at low speed. It was coming from the bearing just behind the steering wheel. Tried to get some WD40 down there but it didn’t help much.

Didnt quite drive me mad but it would have if it got much worse.