Identifying split pipe

leenowell

Hi all

I have a 2004 A4 1.8T and with help from this forum have started to get it working properly again. When I was changing the coolant temperature sensor I noticed a hose was split a d am struggling to identify what it is. On the left of the engine are 2 metal pipes one on top of the other running from front to back. The split hose is attached to the front of the lower one. Anyone know what this is connected to and impact of not changing it? 

Also, have been trying to find an annotated picture of the engine to show what everything is but can't seem to find one. Anyone know of a good source? 

Thanks in advance

Lee. 

Can you post a picture of the pipes? We might be able to help better. Plus let us know what engine you have too.

Buy a Haynes manual. Best source of pictures and explanations to do 95% of jobs on any car.

Hi All

Looks like this is the pipe.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/topran/8878064

It says it an intake manifold pipe.  There is a short rubber hose connected to the bottom left of the diagram which is split.  Will this have a material impact?

thanks

Lee.