Engine starts then dies immediately

Harry42203

I've just finished putting a new timing belt on my 2.0TDi CAGA engine in my 2011 A4 Avant the engine will now turn over start and then die instantly.

The timing appears to be correct as when I have the crank indexing tool installed and aligned the cam indexer can easily be installed as can the HPFP indexing pin.

The tension appears to be correct as the needle is almost touching the right hand side of the gap.

I was worried that maybe it wanted a some sensors reconnected so I fully reassembled the front end connected every loose connector, and have since torn it back down as far as I needed to, to quadruple check my timing marks were correct.

I've tried replacing the battery in the key.

I've checked for codes and all I got was old codes from 2k+ km ago and a lot of codes about my battery dying.

I have charged the battery.

This is the first timing belt I've done and I'm not a mechanic does anyone have any ideas of what I can try?

This is what it does

10 minutes ago, Harry42203 said:

I've just finished putting a new timing belt on my 2.0TDi CAGA engine in my 2011 A4 Avant the engine will now turn over start and then die instantly.

The timing appears to be correct as when I have the crank indexing tool installed and aligned the cam indexer can easily be installed as can the HPFP indexing pin.

The tension appears to be correct as the needle is almost touching the right hand side of the gap.

I was worried that maybe it wanted a some sensors reconnected so I fully reassembled the front end connected every loose connector, and have since torn it back down as far as I needed to, to quadruple check my timing marks were correct.

I've tried replacing the battery in the key.

I've checked for codes and all I got was old codes from 2k+ km ago and a lot of codes about my battery dying.

I have charged the battery.

This is the first timing belt I've done and I'm not a mechanic does anyone have any ideas of what I can try?

This is what it does

Hi chances are you have a bad battery if its the original its probably going to be extinct, easy test is connect a donor battery to the jumper posts clear all redundant codes and try and start it, if it will not start re scan and look for fresh codes and it all depends on what diagnostic platform you are using it should show can communication errors where you have unplugged things.

Steve.