DSG AUTO GEARBOX

Audi  A3  1.6 tdi auto, 2016

is there a way to check gearbox oil level , and is there a time when gearbox oil would need to be changed 

2 hours ago, sixgood4 said:

is there a way to check gearbox oil level , and is there a time when gearbox oil would need to be changed 

Hi as far as I am aware the only way of checking the gear oil level is via the filler port/bolt, the oil and any associated filters should be changed every thirty thousand miles or two years.

Steve

On 5/10/2024 at 6:21 PM, sixgood4 said:

U will still have same amount of transmission fluid as what was  previously injected in there it is not oil . and it doesn't burn like oil  it is closed environment chamber full of gears.. normally u have there 7 litres or 6.5 L

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Reno Pro said:

U will still have same amount of transmission fluid as what was  previously injected in there it is not oil . and it doesn't burn like oil  it is closed environment chamber full of gears.. normally u have there 7 litres or 6.5 L

Hi you should have a look at some of the boxes I have emptied out, the oil which it sis has a viscosity rating and definitely burns and turns from red or green to black, you also loose some as vapour via the vent otherwise the pressure would build up and start causing the seals to fail.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi you should have a look at some of the boxes I have emptied out, the oil which it sis has a viscosity rating and definitely burns and turns from red or green to black, you also loose some as vapour via the vent otherwise the pressure would build up and start causing the seals to fail.

That must've been old car not from 2015 .. and up... but trash cars... I replaced after 45 or 50k and it was still gold..  

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Reno Pro said:

That must've been old car not from 2015 .. and up... but trash cars... I replaced after 45 or 50k and it was still gold..  

Hi quite the opposite in fact, my daughters Q3 2013 my friends 2020 BMW his sisters 2021 Mercedes GLA and finally my 2021 VW Passat, as for your statement about transmission fluid not being an oil I can only conclude that the college Bmec fluid and gas disciplines course I took was a waste of time and money and the lecturers were talking b@ll@cks, therefore I must bow to your superior experience on one vehicle and opinion on Trash cars which you have neither seen or driven.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi quite the opposite in fact, my daughters Q3 2013 my friends 2020 BMW his sisters 2021 Mercedes GLA and finally my 2021 VW Passat, as for your statement about transmission fluid not being an oil I can only conclude that the college Bmec fluid and gas disciplines course I took was a waste of time and money and the lecturers were talking b@ll@cks, therefore I must bow to your superior experience on one vehicle and opinion on Trash cars which you have neither seen or driven.

euro 6 were from end of the 2014  September   

I have 2015 euro 6 Audi A3 TDi 2.0 sportback quattro  184 bumped to 230 bhp manufactured in 2014 september.. 

Then the word ''fluid'' wouldn't be used in car terminology ..  The engine oil burns because it is used in combustion cambers where the fire meets the oil that's why is always immediately black ..  Nobody says  normally engine fluid but oil..  In Audi or VW-AG will automatically say trans fluid or haldex fluid etc. 

The transmission fluid is closed chamber where combustion isn't present and if u saying u had experience with very bad trans fluid that means the user of the car or owner or whatever was ruthless and and abuser of the car.. Driving car in top high speeds in long period of the time and often overheating transmission. 

Well everyone teaches different depending of the person or teacher.. 

Edited by Reno Pro
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reno Pro said:

euro 6 were from end of the 2014  September   

I have 2015 euro 6 Audi A3 TDi 2.0 sportback quattro  184 bumped to 230 bhp manufactured in 2014 september.. 

Then the word ''fluid'' wouldn't be used in car terminology ..  The engine oil burns because it is used in combustion cambers where the fire meets the oil that's why is always immediately black ..  Nobody says  normally engine fluid but oil..  In Audi or VW-AG will automatically say trans fluid or haldex fluid etc. 

The transmission fluid is closed chamber where combustion isn't present and if u saying u had experience with very bad trans fluid that means the user of the car or owner or whatever was ruthless and and abuser of the car.. Driving car in top high speeds in long period of the time and often overheating transmission. 

Well everyone teaches different depending of the person or teacher.. 

Hi I hate to tell you this but transmission fluid does get very hot despite not being part of the combustion process, its called kinetic friction the base material is the same as engine oil but is heavily refined to a point where its thinner and has more of a propensity towards a hydraulic state then additives are employed to enhance the hydraulic properties as well as the rapid cooling properties of the fluid, after a suitable period or milage the additives break down and via the heat from the gear meshing and being pressurised through small detent valves the fluid looses its viscosity and also changes colour, it has nothing to do with abusers driving the car to hard, its all to do with ambient temperatures over a given time or milage, do you think that would be a selling point in a dealers, sorry sir you can't drive this 400hp flying machine fast for any length of time because you might wear the gearbox fluid out.

Engine oil is a completely different product although it comes from the same base product its additives are designed in such a way to protect internal components and the additives involved allow it to do this at a much higher thermal grade whilst absorbing the moisture from the combustion process along with the carbon within that water, sorry but its a one way street, the engine wont burn sump oil unless your oil rings are knackered in which case it will kill your catalytic converter in record time as engine oil when exposed to super heat will crack and revert back to hard carbon unless its fully synthetic in which case it just coats the cat core in a slime that totally negates the function of the precious metals such as palladium which convert the harmful gases in the exhaust stream.

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 8:47 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi I hate to tell you this but transmission fluid does get very hot despite not being part of the combustion process, its called kinetic friction the base material is the same as engine oil but is heavily refined to a point where its thinner and has more of a propensity towards a hydraulic state then additives are employed to enhance the hydraulic properties as well as the rapid cooling properties of the fluid, after a suitable period or milage the additives break down and via the heat from the gear meshing and being pressurised through small detent valves the fluid looses its viscosity and also changes colour, it has nothing to do with abusers driving the car to hard, its all to do with ambient temperatures over a given time or milage, do you think that would be a selling point in a dealers, sorry sir you can't drive this 400hp flying machine fast for any length of time because you might wear the gearbox fluid out.

Engine oil is a completely different product although it comes from the same base product its additives are designed in such a way to protect internal components and the additives involved allow it to do this at a much higher thermal grade whilst absorbing the moisture from the combustion process along with the carbon within that water, sorry but its a one way street, the engine wont burn sump oil unless your oil rings are knackered in which case it will kill your catalytic converter in record time as engine oil when exposed to super heat will crack and revert back to hard carbon unless its fully synthetic in which case it just coats the cat core in a slime that totally negates the function of the precious metals such as palladium which convert the harmful gases in the exhaust stream.

You will never have such bad trans fluid when u NEVER do launch when u never drive like maniac .. In the past people were owning cars and NEVER EVER thought that they gonna replace trnas. fluid.. ONLY engine oil... Nowadays people doing all sht on internet just to make money from views so they will replace all possible nonsense on car.. When people suddenly shoot off from stop and step on it.. The trans gears making massive friction where micro chips happening from metals.. Nothing is undestroyable in the world..  If you never do all these car abuses your trans fluid will be STILL gold after 5 years or even 10 years of driving car... 

Edited by Reno Pro