Newbee with Allroad questions!

G-Force

Greetings guys and gals!

I am considering buying a 2007 A6 allroad, my concerns are  -

- does the 2.7 have a weaker auto-box than the 3.0 (CVT?)

- Is the fuel economy the same for the 2.7 as the bigger 3.0?

- is their any issues with anything else with these cars to look out for -air suspension?

the car i am looking at is  2.7Tdi 2007 with 62,000 miles on it.

Current car is a 2006 BMW 530d M Sport

Thanking you all in advance 

Cheers Glen

Hi Glen,

The 2.7 and 3.0 TDI Allroads both have Tiptronic gearboxes in the automatic versions (a traditional 'torque converter' type with planetary gearing and ECU control).  They are generally good strong gearboxes and do not require the oil changing as a serviceable item unlike s-tronic and multitronic (CVT) gearboxes do.

The 2.7 is slightly better on fuel than the 3.0, but only slightly.

There is generally nothing that is failure prone, intake manifold flaps can get play in the support bushes over time, requiring replacement of the intake manifolds (however, this was also a problem with the BMW 3.0 diesel like you currently own, so is not an manufacturer specific issue).

The air suspension bags can get holes in if abused or in other exceptional circumstances, but this is rare, as can any pneumatic suspension.  Just check the suspension works fine through lift and lower modes and does not drop once the engine has been switched off for a few minuets.  Generally, a well serviced example will be a reliable car.

Tech

• Like 1

Thanks Tech

I am afraid i am one of these people that researches things to death before committing to purchase (£14k is a lump of dosh in my world)

I took the 2.7Tdi for a test drive and all was good/working fine but i was a tad disappointed at the cruising speed rpm - 2000rpm at just over 70mph, i thought i would sit a bit more like the BM - 1500rpm @ 70mph, 

Its not the end of the world by any stretch but i was wondering if the 3.0 would be geared up more, i dont drive fast normally but like the car to cruise with little fuss and obviously the lower RPM the better fuel consumption.

I tried to take a 3.0Tdi for a test drive but upon starting the car, the engine management light was on and the air suspension wasn't working!! STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!!! 

i have only managed to see other cars on the internet only due to their location.... slight dilemma is.. the 2.7 was the ice silver i am looking for with BOSE and silver inside trim (not the wood effect) it was a very very clean car, the other car was a dog - and it was a year and a half newer!

Thanks for the great info Tech, would i be able to map the 2.7? does it use the same gear box as the 3.0? i have read - or mis read that the auto box isn't as strong in the 2.7 and wouldn't cope with the extra torque of a re-map... and finally..... is the 2.7 engine a dolled version of the old 2.5 unit or is it a different bore of the newer 3.0?

Thanks for your patience :) 

Glen 

• 5 weeks later...

Apologies for the late reply Glen, I didn't see your post.

I'm not quite sure on the specs of the gear ratios and the power handling of the gearboxes, if I find out I'll let you know.  Sometimes they post stuff like speed/rpm in the facts and figures area of reviews.

Here's one from Parkers that might help you, although it doesn't give any spec on gearboxes http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/audi/a6/allroad-2006/

Personally, I would never re-map or chip a car, I have seen the damage it can cause.  I know that saying that will open up much debate to plenty of members but I'm an industry professional who's been working with brands like Audi and BMW for some time, I have seen the damage that re-maps and add-ons, cheap or expensive, can cause. 

The 2.7TDI is 177bhp standard, which is plenty really.  The 3.0 TDI is 229 or 236bhp depending on model year.

The gearboxes in both cars are very strong and I have never come across any common issues with them, but that doesn't mean I could be tempted to remap the engine ECU.

The 2.7 TDI is essentially the same engine as the 3.0TDI, it was actually added to the range some time after the 3.0TDI.  They are both common rail with piezo injectors.  You would not be able to tell one from the other, even with the engine cover removed!  They use exactly the same technologies and are both good engines.  The old 2.5 TDI is completely different and became obsolete when the old (97-04) A6 ceased production.

Tech