Stone chips in front discs.

Guest dorset steve

Guest dorset steve

I do like this forum! I'm going to start another topic!

2012 A3. Anyone suffering from stone chips getting trapped on the top side of the front outside brake pads, and not dislodging until you've stopped and reversed at least six feet? I'm thinking of attaching some kind of rubber deflector to alleviate this - anyone already done it?

Guest dorset steve

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

Yep, it's happened three times in the 18 mths since the car was bought new. Only tiny tarmac chips - they seem to whip up on to the hub bit of the disc, and lodge into the top side of the brake pad - resulting in an awful, embarrassing, amplified scraping noise. It leaves a visual uniform ring where it scrapes. I'll take a photo in a day or so to explain it a bit easier.    

Its pretty common, I find it is due to those cheap road re-surcacings where thy put a layer of tar down followed by a layer of the loose chip pings instead of doing a proper tarmac job.

The small sones get covered in tar and whipped up then stuck to the inside of the brake disc back plate.  I have never seen any home-made modifications to stop it.