Changed My 17'' wheels to 18'' and tyres are rubbing

(First Post)

Hi there,

I've recently swapped my 17'' wheels to 18's and now when I have a full car the tyres rub and you can hear them squeeling when cornering. I've been told that because I have gone an inch bigger on the rim size, I need to bring the thickness of the tyres down 10mm to a 225/35/18 size. Is this correct?

I want to purchase a different style of alloys too, but finding a set of rims with these tyres is proving to be a nightmare, as they all come with the 40 thickness which I already have.

Ideally I'm wanting a set of rims like this, but genuine Audi -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-18-AUDI-S3-A3-BLACK-EDITION-S-LINE-ALLOY-WHEELS-EXCELLENT-TYRES-/111246813825?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item19e6d3aa81

Or this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X4-18-AUDI-TTRS-ALLOY-WHEELS-A3-BLACK-EDITION-SPORTBACK-S-LINE-A4-A5-A6-5X112-/331084765789?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item4d16309a5d

or these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-A4-S-LINE-5-SPOKE-ALLOY-WHEELS-7-5J-18-ET54-5X112-8P0601025S-no-tyres-/400623255110?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d4701be46

If anyone has anything, whether it be rims or tyres or can send me in the right direction to some, I would really appreicate it!

Thanks!
Dan

Hi Dan and welcome to the site!

My motor has 18" rims with 225/40/18 tyres as standard, but the suspension is the firmer S-Line chassis that is 3 cm lower than the base spec and I don't get the noises you describe.  I suspect you need the firmer springs & shocks to stop the noises.

I've got the twin 7 spoke "Le Mans" alloys on my A3 (your first link) and they look great but are hell to wash because of the number of spokes and the narrow gaps between the "twins".

The ones in your third link look fairly ordinary - I would keep away from them.

Now those in the second link are verrrry tasty - they are fitted to the Black Edition models.

Did you get the tyres from your 17 inch wheels or the new wheels come with tyres?

I think I must have misunderstood: how can he fit tyres from a 17" wheel onto an 18" wheel?  Surely the inside diameter of the tyre will not be big enough?

I would rather spend my money on good tyres to keep my car safe, then see how much I have left to spend on modding the car - rather than the other way round.  The scrapyards are full of wrecked cars on cheap tyres.

Cheap tyres take longer to stop the car when some numpty pulls out in front of you, and they understeer when you swerve, so you spend on getting your car fixed instead, once you get out of hospital, if you survive the crash.

There is only a patch of tyre about the size of your handprint between your car and the road, so you need the best grip you can get in that area.  ChingaLingWingMinger £40 tyres are about as much use as a chocolate teapot at keeping your car on the road.

My advice is to put the 17" wheels back on and get a set of Goodyear Asymmetric 2 to fit them.  Sell the 18" alloys to help pay for the other goodies you want.

Hope I haven't gone too far over the top trying to convince you!  :)