Audi A6 2.5Tdi C5 2001 - 43000 miles

richardaudi

Hi Guys,

I have the above car, manual speed on my drive. I have owned the car from new and obviously not driven it very much. It has the inbuilt Sat nav unit with the colour screen. 

Unfortunately the diesel pump needs a rebuild. This will cost 750 - 850 plus the vat. It'll also need 4 tyres and new timing+pump belts. I'd guess ~£1600 to get on the road.

So any advice on what I should do? I have removed the pump and have a kitchen covered in bits of engine so the wife is giving me grief.

I have the mechanical expertise to refit if repaired but I'm wondering if there are any other gremlins waiting to be found. Is it worth risking the money or just scrap it and sell it for pieces? Everything is pretty much as new in the interior.

Help!

Edited by richardaudi
Need to add year

Hello Richard,

Many thanks for joining and posting the detail. 
It would indeed be a great shame to have to scrap it, but you have been very realistic with your anticipated outlay - I would add battery to the list. 
Some questions which might help interested members would include, how long it’s been off the road, and can we take it it has spent much of its life outside rather than undercover? 
If you don’t get any meaningful interest from forum member, I would be giving the car a good valet to enhance its appeal, and listing it on eBay to test the response there. 
Good luck with finding it a new home.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the suggestions. Really useful. I have already laid out for a new battery. The engine was starting and running fine but in limp home due to the pump fault. Intermittent-no elaboration available.  (Thanks Bosch, great software). The glow lamp would flash after 30 seconds. All the Ross tech advice proved to be unsuccessful.

I removed the pump in July and sent it to ECU Testing. They kept it for 3 weeks and eventually told me they couldn't fix it. I have sent it elsewhere and received the quote to rebuild this morning.

It has mostly been kept outside but it still in nice condition. I wash it occasionally. The bodywork is excellent except for two paint blisters on the roof above both front seats. 

It's been off the road for around 12 years since this fault developed but I have run the engine every few weeks to keep the oil circulated. I was lucky enough not to need the car as I could walk into work.

The wheels are very good 10 spokes. 

eBay listing is not a bad idea.

Thanks again

Richard

• Like 1

I'd recommend you repair it especially with that low mileage.

If you buy a second hand pump their are companies out there that can remove the imobiliser off the old pump to make it work for your engine. 

What's the engine code? 

I ask as if you decide to break it I'll consider the engine for mine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, sorry for late reply. My engine code is AKN. Current situation is that I'm going to refit pump, belts, pulleys, front end so everything is aligned and good except for the pump which as said, is knackered but can be rebuilt. Then try and sell as complete car for spares or repair. It has the factory RNS-D sat nav fitted with all ancillaries. Also external input for mp3/smartphone music connectivity. The inside is pretty much as new. I'll let you know when I'm about to list it as you'd be welcome to check it out. You will be impressed.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 1:23 PM, richardaudi said:

Hi Steve, sorry for late reply. My engine code is AKN. Current situation is that I'm going to refit pump, belts, pulleys, front end so everything is aligned and good except for the pump which as said, is knackered but can be rebuilt. Then try and sell as complete car for spares or repair. It has the factory RNS-D sat nav fitted with all ancillaries. Also external input for mp3/smartphone music connectivity. The inside is pretty much as new. I'll let you know when I'm about to list it as you'd be welcome to check it out. You will be impressed.

Cheers

Richard

Thank you, please keep me posted 🙂