Leaking footwell… Help needed please

A1Tom

Hi hopefully someone can help me out please, my passenger side front and rear footwells are soaked, I’ve been drying out for days and have even sealed the windscreen where I thought the water may be leaking from, the door seals are fine as I’ve tested them.  I’ve checked again today and still water appears to be getting in from somewhere. I have taken off the plastic sill so I can pull carpet back a little and have noticed the water seems to be coming in from behind the dash up in the corner by the door as when I put my hand up, the sponge sound proofing is wet and when squeezed water comes out.  Any suggestions as to where the water can be coming from? I do think it’s rain water as it smells a bit musty and I don’t appear to be losing any water coolant. Has anyone else had this or similar problem with their A1, it’s only passenger side. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated as this is driving me insane now 😡🥲. Thanks Tom 

Check the battery tray area near the bulkhead, or the pollen filter housing or the ac pipe. Or sunroof drain pipe if sunroof is fitted. Definitely try and dry it out best you can or get it looked at asap otherwise you could start having electrical issues. 

Thanks Steve Q I’ll check those tomorrow, is there anything in particular that i should be looking for? Anything obvious?? Thanks again. 

Hi

i would look into the possibility of a blocked aircon drain hose. In a few Audi models this runs from behind the dash under the carpet and can block and the water back up and cause those issues.

I don’t know the A1 but if it’s in warranty worth mentioning to the dealer

ive had this issue in my A4 an old A3 and in my wife’s Polo Gti

Ta

Thanks for suggestion, I’m a little confused as to where the leak could be and whether it is something to do with air con or pollen filters, the reason I say this is that the car hasn’t been used so no air con or pollen filters being active, I do think it’s rain water getting from somewhere, the leak is up on the passenger side above bulkhead by the dash as I can put my hand up and feel where it’s wet? Would the air con pipe still  be a problem if it’s not being used? 

Edited by A1Tom

1 hour ago, A1Tom said:

Thanks for suggestion, I’m a little confused as to where the leak could be and whether it is something to do with air con or pollen filters, the reason I say this is that the car hasn’t been used so no air con or pollen filters being active, I do think it’s rain water getting from somewhere, the leak is up on the passenger side above bulkhead by the dash as I can put my hand up and feel where it’s wet? Would the air con pipe still  be a problem if it’s not being used? 

Hi no it won't be the aircon if its not being used, try to obtain the help of an assistant and a couple of buckets of rain water, no good using a hose or tapster as this has a higher surface tension and won't creep, sit in the car with the doors shut and let them gently pour the water that side and see what happens, my guess is a blocked drainage channel under the front scuttle cover where it hides the wiper motor etc.

Steve.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:20 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi no it won't be the aircon if its not being used, try to obtain the help of an assistant and a couple of buckets of rain water, no good using a hose or tapster as this has a higher surface tension and won't creep, sit in the car with the doors shut and let them gently pour the water that side and see what happens, my guess is a blocked drainage channel under the front scuttle cover where it hides the wiper motor etc.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for your comments, There are four little holes along the plastic cover just below the windscreen, I assume this is the scuttle cover you are referring to, I didn’t know there may be something underneath that so will take the plastic off completely and check for anything else that may be blocked. Thanks again for your suggestion. It does also seem to only do it when it rains. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/2/2022 at 2:55 PM, A1Tom said:

Hi hopefully someone can help me out please, my passenger side front and rear footwells are soaked, I’ve been drying out for days and have even sealed the windscreen where I thought the water may be leaking from, the door seals are fine as I’ve tested them.  I’ve checked again today and still water appears to be getting in from somewhere. I have taken off the plastic sill so I can pull carpet back a little and have noticed the water seems to be coming in from behind the dash up in the corner by the door as when I put my hand up, the sponge sound proofing is wet and when squeezed water comes out.  Any suggestions as to where the water can be coming from? I do think it’s rain water as it smells a bit musty and I don’t appear to be losing any water coolant. Has anyone else had this or similar problem with their A1, it’s only passenger side. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated as this is driving me insane now 😡🥲. Thanks Tom 

Hi Tom, 

i am literally having the same issue as you, I have taken the whole interior out and couldn’t find the leak anywhere - started on both passenger side footwells, completely soaked, and then obviously made it’s way over to the drivers side footwells as it’s getting soaked up from the carpet  - hopefully we can find the issue on this post just wanted to know that I have the exact same issue with my Audi a1 and have done for months - Joe 

Edited by JoeA1

Iam having the same issue with my A1 and i thought iam getting  rain inside and cover the car and put it in the place it cant get rain ; guess what happend I got mold everywhereee:(((

Hello Lel,

Unless the car’s interior is absolutely dry before you cover it, then you are creating the perfect environment for mould to grow - humidity, increased temperature, and lack of air flow. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, did you ever find the leak as its now happening to mine my car stinks of damp and carpet’s soaked on passenger side and passenger rear. Garage have confirmed its not my heaters leaking. Any advice ?

If the waters coming in from high up it sounds like others are saying theres a blockage under the scuttle at the bottom of the windscreen. I think you need to get thst off snd look inside there. There could slso be some blocked drainage in that area or some kind of grommet either missing or leaking. Worth checking it out. Do you have a sunroof? 

• 2 months later...

Hi, having exact same issue with water coming into passenger footwell. Would like to remove the plastic scuttle under windscreen - can anyone advise how to do this? After removing wiper arms, how do you remove the plastic scuttle? Thanks

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2023 at 10:41 AM, Boris 90 said:

Hi, having exact same issue with water coming into passenger footwell. Would like to remove the plastic scuttle under windscreen - can anyone advise how to do this? After removing wiper arms, how do you remove the plastic scuttle? Thanks

The scuttle has a ridge running its entire length which fits into a groove along the length of the windscreen. Lift and pull out the scuttle from either corner and then work your way alongthe entire length.

On my daughter's A1, both footwells get a significant amount of water pooling after it rains.

The car does not have  sunroof and the boot area is completely dry.

I removed the scuttle and cleaned the area below, then poured a couple of buckets of hot water down. Checked the footwells after that and they were dry. However, after a couple of days of rain, back to square one.

My next option is to check whether the rain could be leaking in via the doors. On a previous BMW with a similar issue, the problem was the plastic sheet behind the door trim had come loose, but I believe the Audi A1 does not have this sheet.

Any thoughts on a way forward?

• 3 months later...

Hi, I can see this issue was back in 2022. Just wondering if you ever solved the issue? I have the same problem with my Audi A1, both front and back footwells of the passenger side of the car are pooled with water. Only happens when raining. Unable to find the source as of yet. Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Anyone found the route cause of this issue, my other halfs A1 is always soaked after in rains. 

Lifted up the Airbag plug access cover on the passenger floor and its full of water. PAX door Seal okay, scuttle drains clear, under scuttle panel looks clean enough for water to flow, doesn't appear to be entering via the blower vent. 

Have noticed the lower windscreen seal looks grimy, could a windscreen really let that much water in when the car's not being used.

As far as I can fill the leak originates up behind the glove box, its also wet between the 2 skins up in the LH corner of the PAX footwell 

20231230_182159.thumb.jpg.71c5c8c28a2de5311a9d17ebba443650.jpg20231230_181823.thumb.jpg.0263063520e9d3fade484fbf9a1c519f.jpg20231230_181819.thumb.jpg.e8b4fefcca0a05893a891df6cf9890b1.jpg

9 minutes ago, 19cb92 said:

Anyone found the route cause of this issue, my other halfs A1 is always soaked after in rains. 

Lifted up the Airbag plug access cover on the passenger floor and its full of water. PAX door Seal okay, scuttle drains clear, under scuttle panel looks clean enough for water to flow, doesn't appear to be entering via the blower vent. 

Have noticed the lower windscreen seal looks grimy, could a windscreen really let that much water in when the car's not being used.

As far as I can fill the leak originates up behind the glove box, its also wet between the 2 skins up in the LH corner of the PAX footwell 

20231230_182159.thumb.jpg.71c5c8c28a2de5311a9d17ebba443650.jpg20231230_181823.thumb.jpg.0263063520e9d3fade484fbf9a1c519f.jpg20231230_181819.thumb.jpg.e8b4fefcca0a05893a891df6cf9890b1.jpg

Pollen filter or pollen filter housing?

Checked this morning after the rain we had last night, air blower intake under the scuttle panel is dry, pulled pollen filter out and thats dry. 

Poured 2 liters of water down the scuttle and can see it all drain out behind the wheel arch. 

Taken lower center console out and other trim ready to pull the carpet up. 

I have never come across a windscreen leak, is it likely to be this? 

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or water soaking footwell? Have 2018 A1 and checked under scuttle and all drain holes ok but rain water still coming in at high level behind dash in the corner on drivers side. Has panoramic sunroof but all drain holes working and no sign of water ingress on inner roof lining at high level or anywhere on inside of door pillar. Now thinking it may be defect seal on corner of windscreen although had the car since new and not been replaced. Looks as though lots of A1’s have the same issue so be keen to know what is the issue!

Thanks

@Ramo - just found the same problem, the windscreen seal itself failing is a common problem. try and push the glass up from the outside and see if it moves. mine was completely loose!

My daughter's 2012 A1 was getting rainwater in from behind the glove box. I removed the wiper arms, the plastic scuttle and saw there is a plastic channel which is supposed to drain rainwater away. This channel sits above the air intake for the a/c. The channel is quite narrow and my guess is rainwater can overflow from the sides and then find its way into the a/c blower.

I cut a 12 inch long and 1.5 inch wide strip of hard plastic and taped it under the channel so that any overflow is directed away from the a/c air intake. This was about 6 months ago and she has not had the water ingress problem since.

• Like 1