Making your acquaintance - Q7 3.0 245

Amacuk

Hi everyone, good to meet you - so to speak.

Moved away from my 2008 A6 Quattro Le Mans Saloon to 12 month old Q7 3.0 245 SE S Line Plus (I think).   Myaudi.com reports it as Q7 Quat TDI3.0 v6180 A8.   It is Orca Black with rear privacy glass.   The driving position is much higher than the A6 which I love.  Quite good spec, listed below for your interest or if you have any questions about it just ask:-

Miles 8000, Hi-line Nav (I think) with Google Maps, Love the ability to send a destination from Google Maps on my PC/phone directly to the car.   Hard Disc drive and jukebox 20GB - voice control for music only works for tracks on the hard disc, not a connected iPod   Digital TV.  Dab Radio.  Comfort pack with Advanced Key, electric seats.   Not sure if it has a lighting pack, but have daylight LEDs, the snazzy rear lights, and the front ones chuck light out to the left or right when cornering, which is supposed help my visibility but just makes me think something is coming!!!!   The (already bright) headlights get more pin-pointed for range when on the motorway at speed.   Everything black inside, but bits of chrome on cup holder, elec seat controls, start button etc.   It doesn't have Bose but has DSP and it's superb.    Power boot release.   Electric folding out tow-bar (discovered by accident).  Parking sensor front and back and reversing camera.

On the whole, let me think, I love it!

Just a few observations/questions if I can.   

The comfort front centre armrest, this goes right down as far as it can, i.e. resting on the centre console making it tricky to get to the return and audio back and forward buttons.   No biggie.

Sat nav map update - how do I get one, given it's on the hard disc, i.e. not on a disc?  Is it free within warranty?

Air con not very strong in my opinion, can take 5 mins to demist even with full blower.   Anyone else have this?

I see a considerable amount of surface rust on brake hubs, which I will clean, but wasn't like that on the A6.

That's it, let me know if anyone has questions.

Take care,

Amacuk, sounds like a very nice Q7 with lots of kit on it!  :)

I believe the Sat Nav update has to be carried out at an Audi dealer as it needs to be licenced. With the blower, do you have the A/C on at the same time as this can help to dry it out quicker?

Hi , one thing about the the demist time is that the cabin space is huge , a may therefore affect the length of time it takes to clear windows. I have similar trouble , and I recon this is why .

If you find a cure or improvement on this , let us know .

• 2 weeks later...

I got the dealer to check out my air con under warranty because I couldn't believe how useless it is at demisting thinking it must be out of gas or something , but to my amazement it was all okay , think I'm a bit spoilt  because my work truck , an old disco 3 has heated screen ,but even taking that into account it's pretty rubbish , maybe it's due to how large but raked back the front screen is meaning the air hits the screen almost at 90 deg and doesn't flow well up it like on a more upright screen , other than that they are a lovely car ,could drive it around the world and not get tired ,although the turning circle does mean you could end up going around the world just to save turning around !