A6 C7 Avant - open door chime

DaytonaAvant

Hi all

A quick query for you - is there a way to turn down, mute or disconnect the warning buzzer/chime which tells me my drivers door is open ?

Is it something which can be done through the MMI or do I need a VAGCOM expert to do something ?  Or is this just wishful thinking...?

Just thought I'd add this query on to this forum - many thanks to James who gave me an initial answer on the 'Welcome Forum'

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've read somewhere that if you use VAGCOM to change the instrument cluster region to Germany, it disables the door chime. It does change some of the read outs to metric but these can be changed back via the computer control stalk.

• Like 1

Many thanks to you all for your comments/suggestions.

I tried the steering wheel < > button trick over the weekend, and it works a treat !

Have looked up the Carista website and it certainly looks interesting.  Will be interested to read about how you get on.

TBH, most/many of its features appear to be on the car already (door locking/unlocking, window opening/closing via remote control), and I couldn't see any reference to the Door Chime/Beep - however, there's a good chance that the website specification list is incomplete due to regular upgrades/updates.

I am tempted to wonder if the use of such technology might have an effect on the warranty, or if a dealer might refuse to work on a vehicle which has been adjusted using this type of software ?  Any thoughts ?

Have just done my first long-ish run in the car, 550+ miles down to the West Midlands area and back to Scotland.  Really impressed with the comfort and performance, and economy appears to be pretty exceptional - still have about another 130 miles in the tank.  Only drawback is a distinct lack of overtaking grunt when travelling at motorway speeds in 6th gear.  (last car was a Golf V6 4motion so been a bit spoiled....)

Cheers

I'm loving the little Carista at the moment. I was like a kid at Christmas, so was flicking 'switches' left right and centre:

1. Needle sweep at startup/ignition

2. Unlock *all* doors (not just the driver door), with just one press of unlock on the key.

3. Allow configuring of daytime running lights via dash display (MMI)

4. Lower passenger-side mirror when in reverse gear

5. Blink turn signals when done closing windows via remote

6. Use tail lights as daytime running lights (Norwegian mode)

7. Enable hidden menu (hasn't yet worked - talking to Carista about this one)

Should all the be 'safe' and there are a good number of VAGCOM settings it cannot yet access that could be considered unsafe.

In fact, I did see one setting that popped up a warning about it potential conflict with european safety or law, so it shouldn't be possible to make an unsafe modification without you having to specifically agree to it first.

I'm not sure about the dealers - One thing I am given to understand is that any dealer update to the car's systems may reset some or all of these settings to factory, so it's worth noting the changes you make and checking them after it's been in for a service etc.

I have a tiny bit more raw power than the A3 2.0 TDI I came from, but because the car is bigger and heavier, I tend to drive it in a more sedate manner, as I've discovered some tricky torque steer and understeer issues if I try to push it too hard.

Yeah, I just found it myself and was similarly impressed. Wished I'd had it when I had my A3 a few months ago.

(To be fair, I try not to mention it on the whole because it seems to rub a lot of the VAGCOM aficionados up the wrong way.)

As primarily a Apple Mac user, I don't have suitable hardware for running Windows for VAGCOM and wasn't best impressed at the some £500 outlay required to get me up and running.

I'm pleased with Carista because, although it's perhaps a bit limited in scope at the moment (when compared to VAGCOM), it simplifies the whole process and is considerably cheaper.

Win. :)

Yeah, I just found it myself and was similarly impressed. Wished I'd had it when I had my A3 a few months ago.

(To be fair, I try not to mention it on the whole because it seems to rub a lot of the VAGCOM aficionados up the wrong way.)

As primarily a Apple Mac user, I don't have suitable hardware for running Windows for VAGCOM and wasn't best impressed at the some £500 outlay required to get me up and running.

I'm pleased with Carista because, although it's perhaps a bit limited in scope at the moment (when compared to VAGCOM), it simplifies the whole process and is considerably cheaper.

Win. :)

Well, to be fair it's nice to have a sensibly priced alternative for those not looking to lay out £500!

• 1 month later...

I have VAGCOM and am happy to let you try it out on your car. I have used it to lower passenger mirror, needle sweep and the most useful, sidelight when cornering at low speed. I'm near Carlisle so you could pop in when passing.

• 1 month later...

Thank you daycartes, I will bear that offer in mind - very generous of you.

Can't say that I'm planning a trip south in the near future, but I have friends on the Wirral, so will be visiting them at some point.

When you say, "sidelight when cornering at low speed", what do you mean ?  I can't quite figure out what that might mean...sorry !

Also, I was following an S6/RS6 last week, and noticed that the indicators have a 'movement' to them - the illumination begins at the end of the light nearest the centre of the car, and then extends towards the outer edge of the unit ( I think !! )  I thought it looked really original and smart, and wondered if it might be something which can be added to an existing "lesser" vehicle...?

Compliments of the Season to all readers, and many thanks for your thoughts.