Auto-ranging Dipped Headlights Gone Faulty?

overthetop

2007 A4 1.8 Diesel estate with Auto-ranging Dipped Headlights - Gone faulty?

At least I think they are auto-ranging as there isn't any manual adjustment (thumbwheel) for when have heavy loads in the back.

On-coming traffic flashing indicating they are pointing up too high.

A orange dipped headlight symbol has appeared in the display confirming this suspicion.

Sound expensive if need new sensors, etc.

Can this be corrected by:

Pull the fuse to the control that monitors the car’s pitch and operates the up/down motors in the dipped headlights?

Then manually lower the dipped lights at the white hexagon adjusting screws located on the top side of the lamps?

Or any other ideas that would be both safe and be MOT acceptable?

Edited by overthetop
Spelling corrections, etc

I think you'll find you need the auto levelling to work for the MOT if you have HID/xenon headlights. I believe it's a common fault and it's usually the motors at that cause this issue.

I don't think the car has HID/xenon headlights. The lamps look "normal" to me.

The dipped bulbs have a half sphere glass lens in front of them.

How best to check the car for HID/xenon or the more conventional halogen lights?

Do you also have headlight washers? HID/Xenon are usually more blue/white in colour than halogen units and the bulbs look completely different. Often there is a reference to near the lights to them being high voltage warning you not to touch...

The car does have headlight washers.

Didn't see any high voltage warning last weekend. Will have another look under the bonnet next weekend.

I am aware that car HID legistation requires h/l washers and some automatic light control. However, I thought that meant auto-dipping from main beam to dipped beam when it detects on-coming traffic.

I thought auto leveling of the lights meant lowering the dipped beam  when have a heavy load in the boot?

Or have I misunderstood the law /and or Audi's lighting features?

Nope, auto-dipping is not required, auto levelling is.

When you first turn the car on you should see the lights go up and down before settling at the correct level depending on the load in car etc

I think we can safety assume that the car has HID / Xenon lights along with h/light washers and the auto-ranging feature.

However, the auto-ranging isn’t working – probably a failed sensor, PCB control unit and/or the motor(s) in the lamps. As confirmed by the orange dipped headlight icon in the display.

I asked at my local MOT station how they would interpret this condition. The reply was (from the man on the desk ) that depending on what is displayed at the time of the MOT  it is either ignored, an advisory note issued or in the case of ABS, Engine management or Air Bag issues, etc  would issue a failure notice.

The lights must switch from main to dip when the appropriate lever is operated. In the case of the dipped headlights, if the light pattern conforms to the test equipment then it would be OK.

However, further searching on the www on trusted websites produce this: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

This states that from 2012 onwards, that if the car is fitted with HID lights then the h/washers and the auto-ranging must work.

Looks like it is going to be expensive fix unless the MOT tester only checks for headlight pattern and not its auto-ranging feature.

Checked with 2 MOT testing garages.

Whilst I didn't get to speak to either of the testers themselves the implication is that if the dip light switch works and the dipped lights are within the required range (as determined by the use of the calibrated mirror requipment) then the car shouldn't fail on this issue.