Can I use a Three data SIM in A3 for traffic, etc, or do I still need to buy a sub from DataInside?

Emanef

Hi guys

We recently bought an A3. It had three months free access to the mobile data which gave us all traffic info, etc. It has just expired. It's £99 a year for 10GB of data, so I thought I could just buy a cheaper Three data SIM and chuck that in, but it's showing that our license has expired still and I can't tell if it's using the Three SIM or refusing and wanting us to get a license. 

The Three SIM was £28 for 20GB of data that lasts for 12 months (so much cheaper than the overpriced DataInside one!), and it seems to be picking up some data (it's showing 4g/LTE and when I put in a route it gives me different options, but not sure if it's picking up traffic delays), but doesn't seem quite the same as it was before the three month trial expired. 

Do we have to pay for the DataInside sub to get access to traffic, etc, or is there a way to get it working with the Three SIM? When I first set up the account it wanted to send a text code, but obviously I couldn't get the text as it's in the car and not a phone. Would this have made any difference? 

I'm not sure I quite understand how it works; what's the Audi Connect? Is that a separate service to just giving it a SIM with mobile data? When I go in to the Audi Connection options (like fuel prices, etc) it says the license has expired. 

It doesn't help that I also can't register the SIM on the Three website as it wants to send a text code to complete the registration, which the car won't get.....!

Confused....!

Thanks

In case you are not aware, you should be able to get Audi Customer Services to renew this free of charge for 1 year - they have done this for me and many others.

I have pm'ed you the email address needed

• Like 2

Ah, great, thanks, that's really helpful, I'll give them a try. 

So do they have a built in SIM as well for the Audi Connect, or will I still need to use the Three SIM for data?

I have not bought a sim as I am still using the e/embedded sim - as far as I know the e/embedded sim is built in/installed somewhere else in the car - the spare sim slot in the glovebox (which I presume you are now using) is if you choose to use an aftermarket/alternative sim