Put a Deposit for a 2011 Q5 TFSI S Line with 46,000 miles

nizamuk

Hi Friend

I put a deposit for a 2011 Audi Q5 TFSI S line , while i was doing the test drive i can see the car is pulling towards the left especially if you take hands of steering wheel then it goes towards left ,is it a tracking issue or something i need to be worried about or any other issues ,also milage is 46,000 should i have to worry about cam belt change and water pump change or as it is showing service due now and the dealer said they will sort the service and the pulling towards the left , Please shed some light on this and help me as it is costing me a fair bit of money to buy.

Many thanks

Nizam

Hello Nizam,

Welcome to the forum. 

Yes, any pulling on the steering should be cause for concern. We take it this isn't being sold by a main dealer - please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Secondhand car dealer, or private sale? 

Have you had sight of the V5 and been in touch with the previous recorded owner ( if dealer sale)'to check that this vehicle has not been involved in an accident? Have you had a 'HPI ' check on carried out on it to also check this? If not, I would suggest you do both before proceeding to buy.

Cambelt? Pardon my ignorance but is this engine belt or chain driven? Others on here will tell you. If belt, then the service history should confirm  - or otherwise - that the belt has been changed since I would consider this 7 year old vehicle would be due on an age basis. Not cheap. Would advise getting a main dealer quote if it is belt driven. 

We take it it does have service history - yes? 

Servicing before buying -   What level of servicing? If just and an oil and filter and levels check then this may not be adequate. 

Apologies for all the negatives , but it's better to go forward having done all the checks before hand rather than being disappointed after. 

Doing all the homework before signing on the line pays off Nizam.

Hope it all stacks up for you, and if it does, then you can enjoy the car.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Nizam.

Gareth has most things covered here so thanks for that 👍

If the said car has the 2.0 TFSI engine then cam belt change is every 5 years or 50k, whichever is sooner. The car in question should have had this done as it was born 7 years ago so check the history. 

Hope this helps

Hi

thanks very much for you guys help, before i make the final payment i will be conducting an AA check on this car to make sure all bits work OK Can you guys please help me how to find out if car got a previous accident history or not ? what check i should be done to find this out ? pulling to the left can it be a tracking issue which can be sorted or is it a major issue ? Please advice.

Hello Nizam,

"..... How to find out if it's got a previous accident history or not.... 

Thought I had covered this, but repeating .... Have you had sight of the V5? ( if not,sorry to be blunt, but it's daft to even consider buying a vehicle without having studied this). Have you contacted the previous owner? Have you done a HPI check? It's all in my post. 

Organising an AA report is great - and not cheap - but if you haven't done your homework regarding the above beforehand then you might just be throwing away money by even bothering to get an AA report on a car which has dodgy history. All may be fine, but you don't know until you find out. 

Does a vehicle with reasonably out of tracking normally pull to one side? No it doesn't. Something has to be wrong here, and the vehicle is telling you  that. 

If it were me, then after I had done my paper homework, I would have asked them to take you and the vehicle to a local tyre/tracking place and get the suspension and steering examined with you, then the alignment checked and if necessary adjusted. Then I would have re road tested it to make sure it was all good before depositing my hard earned as a (non refundable?) deposit. 

This may, just may be as simple as low tyre pressures on one side ( tyres matching on the same axle?), but it may not be either. As always, it's a case of buyer beware. 

Sorry Nizam if this comes over as off putting,  but it's you and your money which is at risk here, and anyone advising you can only advise you to proceed with all caution from here. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. You didn't say if this has full, or any service history. 

• Thanks 1

Hi

We buying this from a dealer , car has full service history all carried out by Audi, carried out a HPI check today no previous written off .showing finance owing ,but this was mentioned by the dealer as they said this will be cleared when deposit goes through which we will check again in a few days , When I get hold of the V5 how can i contact the previous owners as there will be no contact number on the V5  ? What kind of questions would i need to ask the previous owner ?

I will be asking the dealer to get service done as it is showing due now and also mentioning about the cam belt change , Also the dealer said they will fix the issue of pulling to one side and also subject to AA examination and also will provide 2 set of keys as i demanded 2 set as now only one key available.

Many thanks for your  help

Nizam

Hello Nizam,

No phone number on V5? Correct.

Why not try on-line directory enquiries.  Note how long this car has been owned by the previous keeper - if short time -wonder why. 

Questions to ask!  :-

Well like has it suffered any accident damage!? HPI will record if the vehicle as been an insurance total loss, but not if it has suffered any accident damage. Was it pulling to one side? What other problems did they have with the car? All the sort of questions which you would ask if you wanted to find out as much as possible about it. If you don't want to find out about its history, or indeed don't really care too much and just want to pay your money and drive away, then personally I wouldn't bother doing anything other than paying.

Good luck with this.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Don't forget to factor in the cambelt change using main dealer parts. 

• Like 1

Hi

Pulled out of this deal , not buying this, going to put deposit for an Audi Approved 2014 Q5 2.0 TFSI  S Line  only 15,000 miles on the clock and one owner ,only problem is no front parking sensors ,but it got rear parking sensors ,what is you guys opinion about buying this one Please advice ?

Hi Friends

I changed the car again as the previous one got no sat NAV and front parking sensors , now put a deposit for an Audi Approved Audi Q5 2014 reg 2.0 TFSI  S Line Plus 20,000 miles on the clock , only thing is price  is high £25500  but i think with S line Plus car is worth and in Black colour , Gareth and magnet please let me know if i have to be checking any thing else as this is an audi approved one they said it got Technology pack not sure what  that is and front and rear parking sensors SAT NAV DVD based , Please let me know wil this sat nav give me real time traffic and speed cameras like the ones we buy from out side currently i use sat nav in my phone which give me real time traffic and speed cameras , Please shed some light on this as i already put a deposit for this.

Also please can you let me know what is the difference between S line and S line Plus , this one got Sporty seats back support and most of the extras they say .

Hello Nizam,

Sorry to put I this way, but it seems you have a strong desire go put deposits on cars then think about what you should have thought about doing before - after! Beware, deposits are non refundable and depends on the good will of the seller giving a deposit back. 

I think I have outlined all the pre- deposit checks you would be advised to do. It's really now up to you to follow the path that suits you.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi

Thanks for the reply only reason to pull out was the pulling to the left and car had 2 finances ad a number plate change, but the seller refunded the full deposit money ,after careful cosideration put deposit for 64 plate audi q5 only 20 000 miles on the clock and got full spec as it is an S Line Plus also black in colour.More over it is an audi approved car buying from audi garage and it comes with 1 year Audi warranty plus 1 year road side assistance.