Tyre pressure

Me?

Hi all, hope you're well

So, I've recently made a few pretty long journeys with 3/4 people, and hit a few nasty potholes. I was filling up and just thought I should probably fill the tyre pressure too (it's not been filled since I got the car at about the turn of the year, and I'm no expert, but even to me it looked really low yesterday).

On my previous cars, the PSI was always 30-35, so I assumed it would be for this too. However, the pump started beeping at me at 26 for the front tyres, and about 20-22 for the rears. Also, the pressure was pretty much already full, I don't think I held the pump to the tyre for more than 1-2 seconds before it beeped at me, so I stopped in case I ended up deflating them. 

So, to summarise, the pressure seems low and hasn't been affected by months of driving. Both of these things seem odd, has anybody had similar experiences? It's a 57 plate s-line if that's any help.

Hello Steve,

I think you are taking a responsible attitude by 'regularly' checking your tyre pressures to ensure they are set at the manufacturer's recommend pressures, since deviation from these pressures can certainly affect the handling and influence wear.

Now it probably me, but I am a bit confused by where you are with this, having supposedly checked the pressures.

Simplistic approach:- Look on the inside of the fuel filler cap, or handbook for the recommended tyre pressures for the vehicle. 

Go to another tyre inflator and ensure the machine is set to the value you want for the fronts and add or reduce air until the actual pressure is what you want. Repeat for the required pressure for the rears.

Apologies if this is what you have done, but I'm not sure from your write up.

Kind regards,

Gareth.