Hello Audi club!

Hi all,

Just joined as I am currently in the process of purchasing a 2015 Audi Q7.

I have some niggles and questions and thought some of you would be able to offer some advice at all?

We are waiting on purchase as I noticed a few problems which the garage says they are going to rectify first:
The underneath boot well (where tool kit is etc) was wet on the carpet when I looked at it. Also the large plastic black box was not screwed down so I was able to lift out and feel how wet it was. Unsure what that black plastic part actually is?? 
One of the other problems is that the electric buttons to work the very rear seats on the passenger side do not work. 
It also has a panoramic sun roof and the button to control the sun shade is working and operable, but there is no sun shade!The salesman told me that the shade is an added extra and the car didn’t come with it. Seems a bit odd to me, but I was unsure at the time as never owned an Audi before. 

Hoping you will be able to help? 

many thanks in advance.

Welcome Fi, and thanks for joining.

First things first:-

Can we take it you have studied copy of the on-line MOT history for this car? 
Also, have you seen evidence of its service history? 
Have you done an on-line DVLA Vehicle Check to see when the last V5 was issued? This will give you some idea of how long the last owner has owned it? Short ownership - possibly not good. 
Down to specifics:- 

Water leaks- search the forum for issues and possible solutions. 
Panoramic roof - potentially a  problem area due to generally non solvable leaks. Personal view ( pardon the pun!) I wouldn’t be interested. 
Hopefully owner members will fill in the remaining answers for you. 
Hope some of this helps,

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 air suspension problems are well documented and can be costly to repair 

• Like 1

Well after lots of research and worry, I decided against the purchase of that particular car! I noticed a couple of electrical warnings, and with the wet boot, I think it may have been an ongoing problem. So just waiting for my deposit back. 

Finding it very difficult to find a good used Q7!

Thank you for your help and advice though. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a longer term good move Fi. 
Could I reinforce the procedure I go through before viewing:- 

Check the on-line MOT history. 
Check the DVLA vehicle check to see when the latest V5 was issued. Can give you some idea of last change of owner. 
Ask the seller to e-mail copy of the Audi on-line service history and/or any servicing receipts. If you have opposition in any respect - start twitching! 
At the same time as requesting this off the seller, ask your local dealer if they would outline ( and ideally provide copy) the service record they have on the Audi system. 
All this can be done from the comfort of your arm chair, and will form the backbone of sound research before you decide to view. 
Good luck with your quest, and please let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Yes I had a lot of trouble trying to get the service history off them. They kept saying they couldn’t get hold of it as they were not the registered keeper  

Will follow your advice for future purchases. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Hi. 
just a quick question! Found another one for sale and checked all things you recommended above Gareth. 

just checking through past MOTs on this new one and notice this as an advisory. 

“Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened “

would this be one to avoid do you think?

thank you in advance!

Hello Fi,

Unfortunately, this issue is not too uncommon even on ‘modern’ cars, but its extent and severity can only be assessed by inspection. It’s really all to do with simply spraying a light coat of black paint on subframes and associated suspension hardware, rather than subjecting them to a good coating of preservative. 
Upshot is, you would be well advised to get an independent and experience assessment on it, and if found not to be too bad at this stage, get some Waxoyl type treatment applied to reduce the deterioration. 
Is this worth it? Depends on how it stacks up when the service history is requested and the evidence seen. 
What area has the car been operating in? First two letters of the registration? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks again for the advice. 

It has had a private plate on, but the first two letters are GC. 

Thanks Fi,

If those are the first two characters of a personalised number, then unfortunately it will not help.

Knowing where it has mainly operated in can help to determine the likely adverse effect of high usage of winter salt in some areas of the U.K. 

If by chance GC is its ‘returned to’ registration, I think that would have been from the S.E. - but that is from memory, which is a bit chancy! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Fi,

Yes, Kent,  so no lead there on why the subframe is rusting ( as is not too unusual). Guess it depends on how long it’s been ‘gone North’ as we used to say in the Rugby world! 
Are you having to travel far to see it? If so, if the service history evidence comes to you and you are happy with it, I would suggest you Google a recommended Audi independent in the sale area and arrange for paid-for inspection before travelling.

Should have mentioned that it’s worth enquiring about remaining tyre tread on all wheels. Should be relatively even on all four on 4 wheel drive.

Good luck,

Kind regards,

Gareth.