3.0 TFSI Remaping

Eliot

Hello,

new to the forum. After a breakup with my BMW E61 545i, I've now come back to Team Audi with a A6 C6 Avant 3.0 TFSI Le Mans. So far, so excellent.

What about remapping? My understanding is that this engine is also in higher-performance Audi models and could be a good candidate for remapping. Anyone got recommendations for suppliers please? I'm in Brixton, South London. Apologies if I've just failed to work out how to find the right existing threads on the forum.

I've seen a claimed increase from 290BHP stock to 401BHP from Remap Kings at a good looking price. They have a local agent. Most of the online reviews I've seen give them a high rating, but there is the odd highly unsatisfied customer who claims that they ruined their car. Can those be credible reports?

Your thoughts and any other maintenance tips for this model gratefully received. 

Cheers 

Eliot 

Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TFSI

BMW 545i Touring

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 Bi-Turbo

Volvo 850 T-5 Estate (of course)

• 1 month later...

Eliot - interested to hear of your experiences. I used to own a 550i touring which I absolutely loved and I am picking up an A6 Avant 3.0 TFSI on Wednesday. Given the tuneable nature of the car it seems a bit silly not to unlock an extra 100 bhp for a few hundred quid! I am based in Kent and looking at Phantom Tuning as an option - did you take the plunge in the end? How is the Audi compared to the e61?

Hi Joss,

You went large with the 550! 

The Audi is a really nice car, but its main advantages are being younger, less miles, less tatty and better maintained than the E61 - which I couldn't justify spending money on towards the end.

Although the BMW had more BHP (when it was new) than the Audi, the supercharger + quattro means the acceleration is certainly quicker with the 3.0. In my reality, that's better than the silky smooth 100mph+ cruising that the V8 was clearly capable of, because I live nowhere near an Autobahn.

It's hard to beat the E61 for space, comfort, handling and looks that really aged well (do you remember how controversial the Chris Bangle styling was when they first came out?).

Comparisons on fuel economy are striking, but boring. 

Even the standard MMI amps/speakers in the Audi are a big improvement of the BMW (standard) audio - and the Audi has Bluetooth/Aux. I was using a cigarette-lighter FM transmitter in the BMW!

I decided to wait until my insurance came up for renewal to see what the bump would be for declaring the chip tuning as a modification. 

Although I must say that, after over a thousand very pleasurable miles, I've been chasing an overheating issue in the Audi for the last few days (thermostat and/or poor seal from cheap after-market expansion tank cap I think). So I'm giving more consideration to reliability and being gentle to the car alongside the previous thought of "seems a bit silly not to unlock an extra 100 bhp for a few hundred quid! " as you eloquently put it! 

Thanks for the conversation and I'll check out Phantom Tuning. 

Cheers

• Like 1

My 550i had almost every option aside from night vision, it was quite a beast - but it was an SE and silver and looked to everyone like a 525i which appealed to me. I bought it from a dealer 9 years ago for a scarcely believable £7500, it was right at the time when almost everyone was ditching petrol for diesel and there was no market for a v8 estate.

Funny you should mention “the car Bangle spannered” because I do remember that very well - but I have to say the car has really grown into its looks and I am quite a fan. As you say - most of them now are either leggy with no service history or very expensive for what they are. 530i specs also compare unfavourably in every respect to the 3.0 TFSI and as I read more about that engine I became increasingly interested - plus having never owned an Audi or a supercharged car I thought it was about time! 

I haven’t even seen in the metal or driven the car I’ve bought yet - the 3.0 TFSI A6 Avant seems just as rare as a 550i touring, hence I looked far afield, so the drive home on Wednesday is something I’m looking forward to - having said that, it’s 200 miles of m4 so I’m not really expecting many thrills. I will report back and if I go to Phantom Tuning I will let you know how I get on there!

Edited by Anonda