Clutch Slip after ECU remap

Digs1972

Evening,

Just had my A4 TDi remapped at a local garage as quite a few people locally recommended this garage and the improvement it made to quite a varied amount of cars and engines.  The power increase is quite noticeable and impressive and it feels like a different car but the clutch was slipping in 3rd and 4th when giving it some welly but no issues when driving normally.  My A4 is a 140 model and the mapping has boosted it to 200, not the main reason I wanted it done, just wanted some more grunt and better MPG, they did warn me of clutch slip as it is still is the original and has 112K miles usage without fault.

My question is, can I just buy a normal clutch replacement kit or do I have to go a step further and get a performance kit?

Cheers

hello Nathan,

"Clutch   was   slipping" in 3rd. and 4th........"

Are you saying the clutch was slipping before you had this car remapped?

I would have thought that a slipping clutch at 112K miles is unusual, unless the car has been driven over enthusiastically. We have a 147K Audi still on its original, and I would be surprised if this - and far far greater mileages,  isn't out of the ordinary. Anyway, if its slipping its slipping, so its either a case of .... 'not giving it some welly', or as you say, investing in a new clutch (and DMF assembly?).

Performance kit? Sounds like a good idea if available. If you are buying aftermarket then you won't go far wrong with LUK clutches, (personally this is the only aftermarket make I would use)   but probably will with anything else which might be bought on a best-price principle. I'm sure others will be able to give you far more pointers in regard to the .... performance clutch bit.

Kind regards,

Gareth.       

Morning,

Clutch was fine before remap and now slipping, if it is driven normally no issue but anything more and it slips which leaves two options, throttle back the remap or new clutch.

Already booked into have new clutch next week but will speak to the garage who performed the remap this morning and see what there advice is.  They did warn me this could be an issue when I booked it in, they asked for the mileage.

Hello Nathan,

Since you are not doing the clutch yourself, do you mind if I repeat my earlier comments about the parts being used. As with all aftermarket parts, there is a fair/ high proportion of low/lower quality parts which are just not worth the labour charge to fit - particularly in your case where the clutch will be subjected to extra strain. Would I just leave it to the garage to chose what make they use? No I certainly wouldn't. Would I fit any other aftermarket clutch apart from LUK? No I wouldn't. Slightly dearer, but well worth the little extra overall in the long run. 

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Morning Magent,

Thanks for the advice.

When I spoke to the garage that did the mapping they said to replace like for like which I passed onto the garage replacing the Clutch, it will be either a LUK or Saches, they also said there are some cheaper LUK versions out there where the friction material is "poor".

Euro Car parts have both the Saches and LUK listed around the same price, £330'ish but also offering 35% discount at the moment, I'm assured that I can get them cheaper via my mates garage.

As the garage who are replacing the clutch is owned by close friend of mine then I'm positive (made it clear) that the superior option is used, also having the DMF replaced also, lot of money to spend I know but the car belonged to my late wife, so there is sentimental reason for spending the money as I plan to keep the car as long as possible.

I'll keep you posted on hit it goes, the car is due in next Thursday.