Oil squirting out of dip stick

leenowell

Hi All,

I have an issue with my car where oil seems to be squirting out of the dip stick holder (or at least in that vicinity). I was changing the temperature sensor and the "J" shaped pipe at the back of the engine I had to remove had a load of crud in it.  I suspect this is a "breather pipe" from the top of the engine and was thinking that maybe another pipe is fully blocked and is causing the oil to squirt out of the dip stick when under pressure.  Is this plausible?  Anyone have any ideas which pipes could be blocked or what could cause this?

thanks in advance

Lee.

It’s common for the dipstick to actually pop up under internal crank case pressure and the cause could very simply be a blocked engine breather. I would start with this first and ensure it’s breathing again and see if the dipstick issue returns to normal.

Thanks for the reply Dan.  I have been trying to find a diagram of the engine to know which ones are the breather pipes but no joy so far.  The ones I cleaned earlier are the back of the engine connected to a back circular pot looking thing.  I think the pot has something to do with pressure release but not sure what.  If the pipes were clogged maybe this is too?  After more Googling I saw a mention of a pcv which seems to be near the dip stick somewhere but couldn't find any good instructions as to where it is and how to remove / clean it.

Ok, give me 24hrs. Can’t promise anything but I will try. I have a golf 1.8t I will have a look at that too but I won’t get chance to see that until the weekend, I have a very busy week this week.

Ok, so there are a few versions of the 1.8T DOHC engine. But the general consensus is the the breather housing and hose are located (while standing at the front of the car) on of the right side Of the cylinder head located towards the front corner. The breather housing is secured by 1 bolt to the cylinder head. On some cars you may need to remove a plastic cover from the top of the engine to get to the breather housing. If you remove the hose first and then the housing you should be able to clean this out. 

Hope that helps