Climate Interior Temp sensor fault

Rob G

Just checking in to see if anyone has had this issue on their A4

My 67 plate 2.0TDI 190 Avant has had this issue with climate more or less since I got it last July. Lost my job in October so I have lived with the problem through the winter, but I’m addressing it now as we (hopefully) get some warmer weather. 

The temperature can alter (either hot or cold) without me changing the temp on the dial. My garage have diagnosed the fault and have suggested it’s down to one of three sensors as the OBD is showing interior temp as much as 10 degrees higher than the actual figure. 

The car is still under warranty so I’ll get the work paid for, but the problem is that I’ll be saddled with the labour costs of the garage to find out which sensor of the three is causing the problem. If I’m lucky, it will be the first one they check, but if it’s the third they’re estimating circa £450 of labour of which I might get a third back from the warranty company. 

It would be good to hear from anyone who has experienced the same, so I can give the garage the heads up and try to save some cash.

TIA 

20 hours ago, Rob G said:

Just checking in to see if anyone has had this issue on their A4

My 67 plate 2.0TDI 190 Avant has had this issue with climate more or less since I got it last July. Lost my job in October so I have lived with the problem through the winter, but I’m addressing it now as we (hopefully) get some warmer weather. 

The temperature can alter (either hot or cold) without me changing the temp on the dial. My garage have diagnosed the fault and have suggested it’s down to one of three sensors as the OBD is showing interior temp as much as 10 degrees higher than the actual figure. 

The car is still under warranty so I’ll get the work paid for, but the problem is that I’ll be saddled with the labour costs of the garage to find out which sensor of the three is causing the problem. If I’m lucky, it will be the first one they check, but if it’s the third they’re estimating circa £450 of labour of which I might get a third back from the warranty company. 

It would be good to hear from anyone who has experienced the same, so I can give the garage the heads up and try to save some cash.

TIA 

Hi Rob I had the same issue with my A6 when I first got it it turned out to be the sensor under the cowling under the mirror, apparently its a common problem, its a bit of a faff to get to but doable its just a plastic disc with wires.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Rob I had the same issue with my A6 when I first got it it turned out to be the sensor under the cowling under the mirror, apparently its a common problem, its a bit of a faff to get to but doable its just a plastic disc with wires.

Steve.

Hi Steve, excuse the daft question. I'm assuming it's the rear view mirror yeah? 

13 hours ago, Rob G said:

Hi Steve, excuse the daft question. I'm assuming it's the rear view mirror yeah? 

Hi Rob, yes its the cover thats behind the mirror if you pull it off its under there its attached to the screen by some sort of metal spring holder it also acts as a humidity sensor for the climate control the other problem sensor is the fresh air one which hangs inside the air intake box under the front scuttle where the window wiper is front left as you sit in car, I just used to clean that in alcohol and it would start working again.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Update! 

Turns out it's the sensor that's built in to the climate control display (infrared that's top left of the display as you look at it). 

Suggestion from the garage (who I use regularly) is that the whole job will cost £1600(!). 

I have found quite a few of the displays on eBay from breakers for less than £100 so might try that as a worse case scenario if the warranty company won't cough up. 

🤞