Not Sure 1.6 or 2.0?

Mo Drifter

Hi everybody, I'm looking to buy my 1st A3, petrol, manual transmission, but confused whether I should get the 1.6 or 2.0!! I enjoyed my Golf TDi and now need a Euro 4 compliant car, the A3 is my Number 1 choice, love German Technology. I want it for leisure, perhaps 8000 to 10,000 miles in a year. My budget is limited as I'm going through a career change, so I need something decent on fuel and insurance. I love to drive, not race, but drive, the driving experience, to have good handling and some power at times. I've so far seen for sale many A3s, 2004-2007, 3 door and 5 door, manual, petrols, some 1.6 and some 2.0. Is the 1.6 petrol manual under-powered?

Thank you.

I have an Audi A3 1.6 and even the 1.2 litre TFSI engine is quicker and faster than the 1.6 MPI engine. The 1.6 MPI engine is quite reliable but has a major problem with the engine. After about 60-70k miles the car starts to burn oil. So you would need to top up regularly and do an oil service more regularly. The 2.0 litre very powerful. Haven’t drove one but had a race with one at the traffic lights. And it just flew past. If you are considering a 1.6 get the 1.2 or 1.4 TFSI. These are faster and quicker that the 1.6 MPI engines. If you feel tjat you need more power than the 1.4 TFSI, go for the 1.8T as they are also quite powerful aswell.