Rear shock absorber replacement confusion

Cornish Tommy

The rear shock absorbers on my 2012 A4 2.0TDI (100kw) Avant need replacing but I'm struggling to find the correct part number on the current shock absorbers - would anybody be able to help as I am getting conflicting advice from different suppliers - I have the VIN number of it helps? Many thanks.

Hello Paul,

Can we take it you are attempting to order aftermarket shock absorbers rather than VAG parts?

If so, you are unfortunately going to continue this confusion since aftermarket supplier’s websites can lead you to alternatives - as you are finding. Spending extra on VAG parts may not be considered justifiable, but you are likely to gain better service life - and the correct parts.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth and thanks for your response.

I am looking to aftermarket primarily due to cost you're right.

My research since posting this request for help however has shown Sachs 313366 to be OEM and at £82 online is far better than the £230 that the dealers are asking! Which ever way you look at it the dealers in my view at least are unjustified in loading the price so heavily Gareth.

Hello Paul,

I most certainly agree with you Paul regarding main dealer prices vs. aftermarket. The ‘unjustified in loading the price so heavily’ must take into consideration all the (very substantial) overheads in terms of commercial rates, employment, and general running costs associated with such a commercial undertaking. If it was so simple as selling price equals vast profits then I guess we would be all running dealerships. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi all

OK I have found the time to take off one of the failed shocks and its a Sachs 313366 if it helps anybody? £103 on line versus £232 quote from the dealers for supply only.

Hope this helps somebody else wanting to do the same thing.