A5 Window rattle & wind noise + other questions

Rustyy117

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2009 A5 Quattro Sport 3.0 TDI coupe, it has a few issues, the most annoying is the driver side window doesn't fully raise up when you close the door, at motorway speed there's alot of wind noise and sometimes the window will actually open even more by a few mm. If I have the window down at all and drive over rough ground (pot hole, speed bump ETC..) you can hear the glass rattle inside the door, the window still goes up and down fine but obviously something isn't right, maybe some kind of guide is broken? thoughts appreciated.

Next up is the drivers side sun visor, the right hand side clip has actually come out of the roof completely, you can push it back in and it holds the visor up in place but as soon as you pull the visor down (to use it) the right hand side clip comes out again, is the visor meant to be screwed in place or just held with these plastic/metal clips?

I'll upload some photo's soon if no one knows what I'm on about 😄

Also if anyone has experience with having their A5 tuned I'd love to read your thoughts, I'm thinking of going with Celtic Tuning.

Thanks for your help. 

Here's some photo's of the various issues.

The window gap, doesn't look like much but it's large enough to create alot of wind noise and water gets in when using a jet wash

The passenger side 'You're scaring me!' handle is also broken as pictured and finally two photos of the drivers side sun visor clip.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

IMG_20190923_115206.jpg

IMG_20190923_115145.jpg

IMG_20190923_115117.jpg

IMG_20190923_115102.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regards wind noise, there's a bit of trick you can do to reduce it if you're handy with a Stanley knife 😉

Get some large-bore windscreen-washer hose (the 8mm stuff from Halfrauds is ideal, or us 8mm vacuum hose). Open the car door and cut a length of hose that will run from the bottom of the vertical door window seal to within about 20mm of the roofline.

Using a sharp Stanley knife or scalpel, make a small horizontal slit in the door seal level with the bottom of the window line - about 10mm long tops. Now, you should be able to thread the piece of hose up inside the seal and tuck the bottom end in. This will have the effect of stiffening the seal up so that it needs more pressure to deform it. It won't cure the wind noise completely but it will reduce it considerably.