best glue to repair back window to cloth roof

Richaerd
聽Share

could someone advise the best glue/sealant for sticking back the glass to the cloth in the rear window of my MK1 Audi TT. I have seen a glue called Goop auto glue but appears you can only get in the USA which isn't a problem but would be go to know it works before I go to the effort of getting it. Thanks Richard

Welcome to the forum Richard, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 馃檪

3M do three which I've heard of being used called 1300L, weatherstrip and聽08609. Owners have reported problems聽using 3M which are:
1. The glue is a light brown-yellow. Every single smudge is very visible on the black top. It really doesn't look good.
2. Application is a nightmare.聽
3. The glue does become loose pretty fast. Count on re-applying every month or so.

I've also heard of uv5200 marine glue being used too along with Bostik 2402.聽

But Goop seems a good option. Here's a method for using it:聽

聽"goop" is advertised that it works on fabric and glass. First reglue the fabric strip back onto the window and hold it in place to dry with clothes pins. Then glue the fabric to fabric and glass with another application of goop.

First release the top to reduce the tension on the window. Then apply the goop and hold it in place with with a thick clear tape(not duct tape as it will leave a residue) apply the glue on the outside first and it let it dry for 24hrs. Then I re-applied the goop on the iside of the rear window. You can stuff furniture pillows or similar in the back to keep pressure on the seams.
The glue dries clear and you can use a razor blade on the outside of the window to clean up the over flow.聽

Tips:
Use gloves
Use a razor blade to remove the old adhesive from the window
Cut some dowels or other scrap wood to hold up the window from the inside, not too much pressure.
Use Acetone on window and top prior to applying 3M 08609
Others recommend using 3M adhesive primer before 08609 application
Check the inside of top near the window for any canvas coming loose and apply adhesive during the outside repair
Take the opportunity to apply Raggtopp protectant to the entire top after repair.聽

However any glue might not聽be a viable solution in the long run. Top replacement seems the only permanent fix.

cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve for all suggestions and tips. will order some goop from the USA and have a go. we only use the car and therefore the roof as a mid (OK late) life crisis.

Richard

14 minutes ago, Richaerd said:

Thanks Steve for all suggestions and tips. will order some goop from the USA and have a go. we only use the car and therefore the roof as a mid (OK late) life crisis.

Richard

You're welcome, glad I could help 馃檪

The bit referring to using cushions etc... Here's a pic.聽

imageproxy.jpeg