S4 b7 drinks oil and smokes after engine breaking

Clarkio

Hi ppl .

Am new to forum but looking for some help and advice. I have had my S4 b7 for a couple of years now and love it but
I have an issue that always been present ! it drinks oil I have to fill to up with about 3lts per month . 
when I purchased the car I noticed the oil light after only two weeks of owning, I had the car sent back and the dealer apparently had the piston rings replaced,  although I never received any paperwork to confirm this . It didn’t really ever solve the issue and after some research I found it was fairly common to get through a bit of oil and have carried on buying oil in bulk and topping up regular. 
The car smokes after engine breaking a grey smoke and the car always smells after giving it a blast around . 
I would like keep this car for the foreseeable future so ideally would like to sort the issue .

Any advice on where to start will be much appreciated please.

Hello Clancy,

Thanks for being in touch with the forum. 
To try to boil this down, it seems the consequence of the issue with the car when you bought it 2 years ago was never  successfully addressed, if addressed at all, and the recommendation at the time you received it back, would have been to monitor its oil consumption, and reject the car if it was excessive. Too late now obviously. 
What mileage do you cover in a month Clancy, to try to calculate your oil consumption? 
Whatever, in my book, fully ‘reconditioning’ the engine to reduce the oil consumption on a 15 year old car, would simply not make any economic sense, so it sounds like your only option is to continue to do what you are doing, and just keeping your fingers crossed that it will satisfy the MOT emission requirements.

In a nutshell ‘ any advice on where to start ….’ would really boil down to …don’t start. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth 

I will start keeping track of the mileage/ oil consumption as I’m in a van most of the week the missus poodles about in it, I use it in the evening/weekend and never really keep track I just know it just seems far to frequent to top the oil up.

Yes not giving the car back and digging my heels in at the time was a mistake .

I appreciate your reply and this is pretty sound advice. Pretty much my chain of thought. Although I would spend some money on the car if I knew it would resolve the issue as I find it such a joy to drive !

Start ..don’t start 🤔 

Thanks for coming back Clancy. 
You will be able to find your annual mileage from the MOT history, and then just calculate your average monthly mileage, to work out how far 3 ltr. takes you would not seem far by what you describe. 
Still, as you say, you like the car, so continue to enjoy it, and not worry too much about the additional cost of 3 ltrs of oil over a month- particularly when we work out how much petrol has gone up recently. 
As a matter of interest, what engine do you have, and what grade of oil is specified, and what grade do you use? 
For all that, I would just continue to enjoy it. 
Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.