Future A3 Owner

Wilfster

My current car is a Mk1 Seat Leon Cupra R that I've owned for 17 years from new. Unfortunately this much loved car is approaching the end of its life and I'm planning to replace it with an A3 about 3 or 4 years old. I've narrowed the choice down to an S-Line Sportback with the 2.0L TFSI engine (the S3 is beyond my pocket and I wouldn't use the performance).

I would like to ask advice from members with experience of the different transmission options. I've got an open mind about manual, FWD automatic and quattro. Apart from better stability on slippery roads, what are the benefits of quattro and is it worth extra maintenance costs? What are your views/experience of the different transmissions? Are there any general weaknesses I should look out for when buying an A3?

Any help much appreciated.

Hi Wilf,l have the 2021 A3 saloon  1.5 petrol and it is really great and very good on fuel,from day 1 run it in dynamic  mode and its a pleasure to drive,good luck with whatever you buy,Dave Wise

Hello Will,

I’ve not owned what you are looking for, so unfortunately my advice isn’t going to be worth much, but I note you have narrowed your search to an S-line. I just wonder if that choice has been mainly influence by ‘looks’ since it depends on whether you favour ‘ride quality’ or are prepared to compromise that for harder suspension and road holding.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

2 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Will,

I’ve not owned what you are looking for, so unfortunately my advice isn’t going to be worth much, but I note you have narrowed your search to an S-line. I just wonder if that choice has been mainly influence by ‘looks’ since it depends on whether you favour ‘ride quality’ or are prepared to compromise that for harder suspension and road holding.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth.

Yes I do prefer the looks of the S-Line. I'm used to very hard suspension too - if you've ever been in a Cupra R you'll know what I mean!

Hello Wilf,

That’s fine then, and of course we don’t know what your requirements or background are via. such posts, but it’s not that uncommon for S line owners not to realise that they inherit harder suspension - until they have bought it and it’s too late! 
Kind regards,

Gareth.