Advice needed - buying a Q5

Arj2442
聽Share

Hi all,聽

I'm new to the forum - hi馃憢

Currently driving an S3 2017 and looking to change to a Q5 (in reluctant pursuit of a more family friendly vehicle - space and practicality)聽

I need some advice if that's alright on which engine to go for as without having driven any of them I'm unsure exactly what to expect.聽

Coming from an S3 and having become used to having a good level of power I'm somewhat concerned about going for something significantly slower - although by no means am I looking for or expecting to replicate the same driving experience. Having looked at the engine options currently these are my thoughts - can anyone who owns these models please let me know of your experiences?聽

40TDI - 201bhp worries me, but 400nm torque seems pretty strong. Perhaps this model gives the best mix of performance and mpg - but does it feel slow?聽

45 tfsi - slightly quicker 0-60 than the tdi but pretty poor mpg - I'll be doing some motorway runs so want decent mpg if I'm sacrificing performance. How much quicker does this model really feel to the tdi?聽

50 tfsi e - hybrid - great claimed efficiency but seriously worried about towing heavy batteries round with an underpowered petrol 4 pot if it's not charged? In paper I thought this was perfect but the more I look into it the more it concerns me.聽

Sq5 - perfect on paper but a lot more expensive.聽

Thought in my mind - is the 40tdi the smart buy and could it get a remap to give it a little extra performance?聽

Really welcome everyone's thoughts as drivers of these engines.聽

Many thanks!聽

Hi,

I have the聽55 tfsi-e, and for ME it is great.

I would recommend you actually test drive a few of these, as it is a matter of preference on 'driving experience', and power.

Don't only look at the power and torque figures.聽 My car has about 360ps, but because of the heavy batteries, the power to weight ratio is ok (not great).聽 But still rapid.聽 Plus just did a round trip of 300miles over this weekend with mainly motorway driving and into London, and on a single battery charge, and got 34mpg from the trip computer.

Thanks,聽Joe

• Thanks 1

I had a 2014 A3 1.8L TFSI, then a 2016 A3 2L TDI which I remapped to around 210bhp. Was looking for a 2017/18 Q5 and originally was planning on getting a well specced 2L TDI but then I found out they did a 3L TDI (286BHP so equivalent of a 50TDI) and set my heart on that. I managed to get a reasonably well specced 18 plate (comfort pack, tour pack). Not quite as powerful as an SQ5 but it certainly shifts, think it's 5.8s 0-60. I think they stopped making them after the 18/68 plates but I could be wrong.

I've hit 55mpg on a motorway run, albeit with some sections of slower speed restrictions obviously helping, my long term average since I had it is 40.59mpg. Most of my driving is 60 mile round trip for work, do the odd short trip to town.

I think they're quite a rare model so you may need to be patient but I honestly don't know what I'd 'upgrade' to as it'd be a very hefty spend to go up a level in terms of spec/quality of car imo.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Will_0407 said:

I had a 2014 A3 1.8L TFSI, then a 2016 A3 2L TDI which I remapped to around 210bhp. Was looking for a 2017/18 Q5 and originally was planning on getting a well specced 2L TDI but then I found out they did a 3L TDI (286BHP so equivalent of a 50TDI) and set my heart on that. I managed to get a reasonably well specced 18 plate (comfort pack, tour pack). Not quite as powerful as an SQ5 but it certainly shifts, think it's 5.8s 0-60. I think they stopped making them after the 18/68 plates but I could be wrong.

I've hit 55mpg on a motorway run, albeit with some sections of slower speed restrictions obviously helping, my long term average since I had it is 40.59mpg. Most of my driving is 60 mile round trip for work, do the odd short trip to town.

I think they're quite a rare model so you may need to be patient but I honestly don't know what I'd 'upgrade' to as it'd be a very hefty spend to go up a level in terms of spec/quality of car imo.

Hey thanks for your reply - I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The equivilant '50tdi' you have is the sweetspot no doubt! More power from the 3 litre but still goood mpg.聽

It's frustrating they've stopped making it - there's now too much of a gap between the 40tdi and the sq5. Perhaps they thought your model was eating into potential sq5 sales.聽

I've set my heart on a facelift model as do like the new front end, but totally torn between the 40tdi and the sq5. I'm leaning towards the 40 and thinking a tune would get it into that sweetspot power bracket.

Youve made me consider the pre facelift though now as you're right it represents incredible value for power and efficiency plus build quality.聽

I'm frustratingly in a similar position with current S3 (2017 model - facelift but before the opf filters) all the sound, pops an bangs etc, 310 bhp, and decent ish mpg at about 30 all things considered - hard to upgrade.聽