DSG and Hadlex

Ando

Hello everyone I’m looking at buying a tt  S tronic 4 wheel drive  12 reg. This will be my 4th but the first with DSG and Quattro . I’ve seen one for sale and test drove it and it all seemed fine . It has done 100,000 miles . I didn’t see any receipts for DSG or hadlex oil services.  I’ve heard they should be changed but would it be alright to buy the car then have it changed or will it have already been detrimental.

Hey Tony, 

100k is quite a few miles for one of these depending on what has been done to it. I purchased mine at 50k and the Hadlex filter was clogged, this was after it was done 20k miles ago by the last owner. (but still working somehow) Most examples for sale don't have any diff or gearbox oil change history, although some do. Thankfully mine had the DSG oil changed at 35k & 50k. The filter clogs on these which then destroys the pump, this can be fixed in around 3 hours with a new pump oil & filter depending on the level of damage. In regards to the DSG oil, it is more important IMO as this is much much more expensive to repair than the rear diff. 

Personally, I would look out for one with some history & lower miles, even if it takes a few more months of suffering or saving etc. They are complicated cars and need to be looked after in an OCD-like fashion to avoid issues.  Even at 50k, Mine needed a new Diverter, PCV, front door speaker, blower motor & condenser/re-gas. I did most of this myself so It wasn't so bad. 

Depending on what model/engine you are going for there are quite a few common issues to look out for when purchasing also. The DQ250 & DQ500 are a couple of the best gearboxes ever made, but still need to be looked after. I'm assuming you are looking at either the 2.0 TSFI or 2.0 TDI non-S/RS model, but the same principles of care and maintenance apply to all AWD DSG models.

From my experience, unless you drive slowly I would follow the below schedule. If you drive chilled you can probably get away with the standard recommendations. 

DSG OIL & Filter 20k (Standard Reccomnedation 40k Miles)

Haldex OIL & Filter 20k (Standard Reccomnedation 20k Miles)

Engine OIL & Filter 5k (Standard Reccomnedation 10k Miles (RIP Turbo if you like to drive))

Brake Fluid 2/3 Years (Bog Standard) 

Another thing you could do is request the service history from the dealer, Previous Audi's I have looked at had missing history which I simply recovered by requesting it from the dealer.

There is a solid chance that buying the higher mileage car with no history will end up costing you more than buying a cleaner example. 

Hope this helps,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply . I will take your advice and get a lower mileage one or one that’s got more history. It’s a 2.0 tfsi I drove it a few days ago and really liked it , it was also in excellent condition and a good price but like you say could end up costing down the line . My pal advised me to go on here , glad I did now .This is really good advice thanks again .

• Like 2