Looking for a valuation on a 1999 (face-lift) A4 B5 Avant 1.9 TDi SE 110bhp. High miles (as expected for this bullet-proof engine) of 232k, but very well maintained including replacement wings a couple of years ago, a new drive shaft, hub and suspension pieces front and rear in the last year as well as a new MOT in Dec 23 and a new set of (non Audi) 17 inch rims and tyres.   Unfortunately this beautiful 2 owner car was written off earlier this month - insurers have provided a low pre-crash valuation (and are asking me for like-for-likes!!) - however these seem to be as 'rare as hens teeth' for the types age, and that's before considering the rare LY5T (Kingfisher) colour. Any steers gratefully received.  

a4 b5 avant 1.9TDi.jpg

Hello Ken, 

Very sorry to hear about the accident, but being realistic, I’m not  really surprised that your insurers are offering you a lower pay out than you would have expected. Two questions:-

How much are they offering you?

How does this figure compare with the estimated value listed on the comparison website (that you may have used to obtain insurance-?). If you didn’t use a comparison website, try it today and see what estimated value comes up. 

You don’t tell us what damage has occurred, and whether this damage would be repairable - by yourself? Where I’m coming to is to accept an offer for the salvage, and use the payout to fund the repair. 
Your situation is a salutary lesson to all those who cherish an over 20 year old car - insure it on an agreed value basis Classic car policy, where you will be paid out that value which was agreed. This type of insurance comes with certain limitations ( just ask if you want further detail ) but alway a worthwhile consideration. 
Perhaps you can come back to us with some more detail Ken.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for the reply Gareth. Unfortunately the damage was significant rear end damage that has created a salvage category b. Insurance taken out as 'market value' hence my search for same, but haven't been able to find anything as a comparison. Thanks anyway. Ken

Hello Ken,

Was this a no-fault accident on your part?

If you were not at fault, you could inform the offender - in writing - that you hold them totally responsible for the damage caused, and wish to claim all expenditure necessary to return your situation to where  it was pre-accident. 

It might be well worthwhile contacting CAB for advice and assistance.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks, WBAC weren't able to provide a valuation immediately and wanted to review the car (not now possible) but I didn't hold out any hope that they wouldn't just provide a very low value! The van that hit me has admitted full responsibility and the insurers looking to recompense, I'm just not happy that they're providing an accurate pre crash value, but will keep on trying to find some reasonable like for like prices. Cheers Ken

• Like 1