HEADLIGHTS STEAMING UP - IS IT NORMAL?

Firkindolloper

Hi Guys,

I have swapped my 2017 A4 Avant for a 2021 Q3 and after driving from the dealership in light rain, my headlights steamed up.  The dealership says that this is mentioned in the handbook and perfectly normal.  They never mention this at the time of sale or I would not have entertained it.  The sales guy said that there is a fan in the headlights that will clear it quickly but it cleared next morning.  Is this normal or even acceptable?   Never seen or heard of such a thing in my 50 years of car ownership.

I asked about swapping the car for something else but they haven't even responded in a week to 2 emails.  

On mine, if the light unit covers are not fitted correctly water gets in, and you get steam.

On mine Under the bonnet the back of the lights should have covers, if there missing you have your answer.

6 hours ago, Firkindolloper said:

Hi Guys,

I have swapped my 2017 A4 Avant for a 2021 Q3 and after driving from the dealership in light rain, my headlights steamed up.  The dealership says that this is mentioned in the handbook and perfectly normal.  They never mention this at the time of sale or I would not have entertained it.  The sales guy said that there is a fan in the headlights that will clear it quickly but it cleared next morning.  Is this normal or even acceptable?   Never seen or heard of such a thing in my 50 years of car ownership.

I asked about swapping the car for something else but they haven't even responded in a week to 2 emails.  

Hi a fan inside, thats a new one, what a load of Scallops, there is no such thing its just wrong and thats it.

Hi Jason,   Thank you very much for this.  I really found it hard to believe  and was prepared to do battle with the dealership over it. 

Every day is a school day........

• Like 1

Stevey/Mark:  Thanks for your replies but it seems like we were all out of touch with the latest complicated invention in the Audi world. We live and learn.

21 hours ago, jasonj said:

Hi Gordon , 1:

1: The Headlight does contain a Fan . This is to cool the LED bulbs .

2:The Headlight also has a Breather Tube  this is to remove the Condensate . Located at the top of the unit  ( looks like a disc with a tube attached  )

This can become blocked . Which is probably the cause in your case, this blocked Breather  in the Headlight Unit is preventing the removal of  Condensate within the unit . 

3:The Headlight  Unit also has Access Ports , seals that can allow moisture into the unit if these have not been sealed with a Silicone based grease when refitted . Typically Ballast nodules under the Headlight housing .Jasonj 

Well Einstein anyone who has ever had a headlight apart will tell you there is a cooling fan on the rear of the bulbs built into the control casing to cool the pcb there has never been a fan unit to clear the condensation, the bulb fan is a very slow moving affair which concentrates on removing heat from the electrics and is aimed toward the rear of the unit so how will that clear the condensation from the lens if the small amount of heat is at the back and blown towards the breather,