8V Sportback Rear Axle stands?

Malcs

Hi folks, looking at getting the back of the a3 8va sportback on stands, but not 100% sure on location as always jacked up on the seam, however I need to the shocks so need to right under the car!

Seen some 8V with blocks here for jacking (behind the reinforced lip) for jacking etc, but think I might be missing them, can anyone shed any light on the matter please. 

20240229_151837.jpg

3 hours ago, Malcs said:

Hi folks, looking at getting the back of the a3 8va sportback on stands, but not 100% sure on location as always jacked up on the seam, however I need to the shocks so need to right under the car!

Seen some 8V with blocks here for jacking (behind the reinforced lip) for jacking etc, but think I might be missing them, can anyone shed any light on the matter please. 

20240229_151837.jpg

Hi a couple of six inch lengths of 4x2 wood between the axle stand and the cross member the stands dig in to the wood thats good for movement protection the other side spreads the load across the member.

13 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi a couple of six inch lengths of 4x2 wood between the axle stand and the cross member the stands dig in to the wood thats good for movement protection the other side spreads the load across the member.

Cheers for that, I've thought about that, might use that for jacking and use the "hockey puck" on the stands at the sill jacking point, going to be doing springs too so will need to drop the cross member. The joys of dependent axles and needing to get under the back of car. Other option is see if I can hire a bay with a lift for a day.

1 minute ago, Malcs said:

Cheers for that, I've thought about that, might use that for jacking and use the "hockey puck" on the stands at the sill jacking point, going to be doing springs too so will need to drop the cross member. The joys of dependent axles and needing to get under the back of car. Other option is see if I can hire a bay with a lift for a day.

Hi a four point lift is great if you can get one as you have unrestricted access to the underneath and its a lot easier working standing rather than laying/sitting on floor, this will only give you arthritis or piles.

2 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi a four point lift is great if you can get one as you have unrestricted access to the underneath and its a lot easier working standing rather than laying/sitting on floor, this will only give you arthritis or piles.

Yeah this is very true, there's a garage down the road that rent bays by the half day, so will give them a call. Not hard jobs, just pain getting the car up in the air a bit to get to top of shock.

4 minutes ago, Malcs said:

Yeah this is very true, there's a garage down the road that rent bays by the half day, so will give them a call. Not hard jobs, just pain getting the car up in the air a bit to get to top of shock.

Hi I wish you all the best, please post the outcome, if its the rears just give the bolts a soak in plusgas before undoing it helps with the crud on the threads.

6 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I wish you all the best, please post the outcome, if its the rears just give the bolts a soak in plusgas before undoing it helps with the crud on the threads.

Bound to have crud on them as when I did the calipers, the holder was welded on with crud, snapped a m14 getting it off!

3 minutes ago, Malcs said:

Bound to have crud on them as when I did the calipers, the holder was welded on with crud, snapped a m14 getting it off!

3 minutes ago, Malcs said:

Hi when it comes to calliper carriers judicious use of a blowtorch normally sorts it.

• Like 1

Hi when it comes to calliper carriers judicious use of a blowtorch normally sorts it.

Used the impact gun to crack the seal and breaker bar got it moving, now have a m14 impact socket in the arsenal too !

2 minutes ago, Malcs said:

Used the impact gun to crack the seal and breaker bar got it moving, now have a m14 impact socket in the arsenal too !

I bought myself one of those induction heaters that only heats the bolt and nothing else, wicked bit of kit and at £130 best thing I have ever bought, used it a lot on the missus Alfa Mito they I think were made with pre rusted bolts.

I bought myself one of those induction heaters that only heats the bolt and nothing else, wicked bit of kit and at £130 best thing I have ever bought, used it a lot on the missus Alfa Mito they I think were made with pre rusted bolts.

My old Vectra was the same, I've seen those but since went to A3 nothing that a bit force has not solved (so far).