Lane guidance won't turn off

Toonces

Posted (edited)

My buddy has a 10k mile 2023 Q8 and the lane guidance won't turn off.  He asked me to help as he's not that internet savvy and I looked up where the button at the end of the turn signal bar turns this function on and off.  When I'm driving his car I hit the button and a box pops up on the screen that says 'Adaptive cruise assist: without lane guidance' and the lane guidance stays on turning the wheel when I change lanes.  I hit the button again and it says 'Adaptive cruise assist: with lane guidance' and just as it says the lane guidance is on and jerks the wheel when I change lanes.  It's always on no matter what the screen says.

Am I doing something wrong, or does the dealer need to address this?

Thanks,

Brad

Edited by Toonces

Morning Brad.

I have a 23 plate Q8 55Tfsi. It has cruise control but not the adaptive cruise control that your friend has on his car.

I suspect that the issue with the lane departure is to do with that. There must be an overlap of the systems somewhere.  I would hazard a guess that you would need to disconnect the adaptive cruise control before you are able to turn off the lane assist. Just a guess but maybe you will have to delve deeper into the info folder that came with the car.

On a general point I too turn off the lane assist whenever I drive my car. In fact it's the first thing I do! An absolutely useless piece of kit and I think I have read a survey recently that 83 % of all owners who have lane assist on their cars,do likewise.

Frank

• Like 1

There's two parts to the function (at least on my MY23 A6). There's lane guidance assist which aims to keep the car centered in the driving lane, and lane departure warning which aims to stop you crossing the lane boundaries.

A short press of the button on the indicator stalk turns off the lane guidance assist, and a long press turns off the lane departure warning.

When lane guidance is on/off a pair of little arrows at the bottom of the icon in the dash will appear (on) and disappear (off).

When the lane departure system is on, you'll see two white lines (or green/red according to status) but when it's off, the two lines disappear.

These systems are linked to adaptive cruise control as indicated in the owners manual.

I generally leave lane departure warning on, but turn off the lane guidance assist except when on motorways or long dual carriageways...