Q7 Battery replacement

MrBoe

Our battery is practically dead and buried on our 2006 Q7, is this usual? Wont seem to hold a charge very much. Im suprised for only 6 years old!

Has anyone had a new battery fitted at somewhere other than Audi? Im lothed to pay main dealier prices. Halfords say they will fit ant battery no matter how long it takes for 6.99! but im aware there may be some sort of coding required to sync up the battery to the car? bit too technical for me to be honest! any ides anyone?

Don't want to teach my granny and all that.. but the battery is under the front passenger seat and

is not the easiest to replace by the looks of it (see my previous post)

However having had a lot of high tech motors.. I always find that if you connect a battery charger to the leads before you disconnect them from the battery you are removing.. an uniterrupted 12volt supply is maintained to the cars electrical system and you can then simply remove the old battery.. install the new battery then reconnect the leads.. once that is done.. simply disconnect the battery charger and your back up and running

Cheers

Gilbert

Having a new battery fitted anywhere outside the main dealer network is usually quite reasonably priced. The Halfords deal sounds good to me. As for coding I doubt there'll be much of a problem, just plug in and it works like a battery on any other device as far as I'm aware.

Best take a look at what Steve mentioned too, think I saw that too.

• 2 months later...

Batteries need to be coded to the energy management ECU with regards to battery make, capacity and serial number. This is to ensure the energy management does not cut the current shut off stages in too early or late by not knowing the capacity and charge state of the battery. Therefore coding is vital otherwise you could find things like your electric opening tailgate etc stop working for no reason. This is the same with all modern Audi's

• 3 weeks later...

ive replace in my q7 with this battery,i coded it by part number,serial number,but it dont give me an option for bosch,so i had a list in vcds to chosse from like:

varta-

moll-

banner-

exide-

jff,boading

so i chose varta.............audi say 110AH  520amps.........ive put in 100ah    830 amps........hope it does the trick.......heres the battery.......http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_734844_langId_-1_categoryId_165762#tab2

That should be fine, I'd like to have seen Halfords fitting that for £6.99 when they realised how much of a job it was!

seems ok,after 18.5 hours the engine started instantly.......just hope it stays like that,dont think the batteries last very long in the q7........i got plent of guaranttee left anyway lol.........i asked halfords for £6.99  he was gobsmacked when i told him where it was,started saying...er.....ummmmm....er .....il find out,i told him dont bother im doing it anyway.........as for coding halfords guy had no idea.

• 2 years later...