few problems..........................................................................

vw754

hi, 1st of all my battery seems to go flat after 16 hours of sitting over night,can i remove it ,put it on chareg without any issues regarding coding and stuff?

2nd thing my tailgate opens but it 5-clicks as it starts to open...........surely this is not normal?

3rd thing is  what tyre pressure should i have..............285 35 22  ?

and where is the brake fluid resovoir........(just curious)

Hi vw754,

I'm guessing this is a Q7 not an A3 TDI?  If so:

1.  It sounds like your battery has had it I'm afraid, either that or you have a slight long term current drain, but the former is more likely.  You should not try to remove the battery to charge it, instead you should use the battery charge/boosting terminals under the bonnet.  They are located to the right as you stand in front of the car looking under the bonnet.  The live has a red cap with a + mark which you need to flip back, the earth is a plain terminal located close by.  The battery is located under the passengers seat so it is a pain to get to.  It is also advantageous to charge the battery 'in situ' as it allows the energy management to monitor the current absorbed by the battery from your charger and thus recognise the charge state of the battery.

2.  Your right, it is not normal.  It sounds like the tailgate lock motor has just about had it.  Is it closing OK?  Is it an electrically operated bot lid?

3.  You will find the tyre pressures on either the edge of the drivers door, the inside of the lower B-pillar with the drivers door open or the inside of the fuel flap, depending on the production date of your car.  Although, they sound like unusual size tyres to me, are they aftermarket wheels?

4.  The brake fluid reservoir is located on top of the master cylinder.  Open the bonnet and you will find a flap on the drivers side on the black trim that runs the width of the car between the bulkhead and the bottom edge of the windscreen.  The fluid reservoir is under here.

Tech

• Like 1

Hi vw754,

I'm guessing this is a Q7 not an A3 TDI?  If so:

1.  It sounds like your battery has had it I'm afraid, either that or you have a slight long term current drain, but the former is more likely.  You should not try to remove the battery to charge it, instead you should use the battery charge/boosting terminals under the bonnet.  They are located to the right as you stand in front of the car looking under the bonnet.  The live has a red cap with a + mark which you need to flip back, the earth is a plain terminal located close by.  The battery is located under the passengers seat so it is a pain to get to.  It is also advantageous to charge the battery 'in situ' as it allows the energy management to monitor the current absorbed by the battery from your charger and thus recognise the charge state of the battery.

2.  Your right, it is not normal.  It sounds like the tailgate lock motor has just about had it.  Is it closing OK?  Is it an electrically operated bot lid?

3.  You will find the tyre pressures on either the edge of the drivers door, the inside of the lower B-pillar with the drivers door open or the inside of the fuel flap, depending on the production date of your car.  Although, they sound like unusual size tyres to me, are they aftermarket wheels?

4.  The brake fluid reservoir is located on top of the master cylinder.  Open the bonnet and you will find a flap on the drivers side on the black trim that runs the width of the car between the bulkhead and the bottom edge of the windscreen.  The fluid reservoir is under here.

Tech

thanks for that,battery was replaced by audi in may 2011 at a cost of £165 and i rang audi,they said they want do a drain test first and its going to cost £144 ! before they give me a free battery as its under warrantty........rip offs!

boot is electric,closes ok, just the clicking first few seconds.........it is slightly out of line though,needs moving towards the right id say about 2mm.

Yeah I would say your battery has lived its natural life. Once that starts happening it then moves on to not starting when you're out in public.

Glen.

thort it is the battery..........oh well.........get one soon,its ok if parked for 16 hrs,any longer and its flat as anything

• 3 weeks later...

Hi .. Just came across your post.. wouldn't worry too much about the boot lid clicking as mine does exactly the same thing when I open it from the handle but... if I use the remote switch in the drivers door it only clicks once and then opens...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

hi ... my bootlid is strange as well ... no multiple clicking noise ... but ... it works of the key fob ... works of the driver door .. closes fine from the internal bootlid button ....but does work on the external bootlid handle itself ...

obviously thought it must be a dodgy external switch on the bootlid  ... but .... when i close the boot using the internal bootlid button ... the manual says you can stop it closing by squeezing the external switch .. and it works ... to open it, stop it or close it ... however .. here is the strange bit ... when it closes fully .. the external switch does not work to reopen the boot lid ... 

any ideas anyone?