A7 Overheating

MatthewMessy

Hello.

I've been having an issue with my A7 where it says that it's been overheating. I'm a worrier by nature so I thought I should seek some advice, hence the reason I'm here.

I'm also a mechanical moron and know literally nothing about this type of stuff  :(  I know it makes me less of a man but I never get interested by how engines work until they go wrong. I mention this because I'm worried this might be a basic problem that you guys here might think is beneath you but I can guarantee any help on this would make me a very grateful man.

My main question is whether or not this is something that will be a massive problem in the near future.

Ta for the help.

• Like 2

Overheating is never a good sign. My first instinct would be to check the coolant level. It should be somewhere on the left of the engine and pretty high up. I took this image off the internet to point out where to find it.

IMAG1656.jpg

What you're looking for is that cylindrical and pink bottle on the left. Most of them are pink nowadays but you can also look for this symbol to help you determine which it is. Normally it'll have coolant written on it or have a little thermostat icon.

Hope this helps.

If anyone else has other ideas be sure to help out.

It needs looking at Matthew.  Is your A7 not still under manufactures warranty (3 years/60,000 miles)?  The coolant expansion tank that Glen has refered to is in the right of your engine (looking at your car from the front with the bonnet open).  It is an oblong shaped bottler with pink liquid in (or not as the case may be!).  Overheating is not a common fault on an A7.  I have seen a case of coolant loss on the 3.0 TDI 3rd generation engine as fitted to the A7 though.  

Just out of interest, what engine is in your car? TDI or TFSI?

Ha, yeah Batman is probably right :)

Its most likely to be an internal leak into the EGR cooler or an external leak around the oil cooler area.  Either way, get it taken to the dealers and fixed while its in warranty.  

If the warning message is on all the time, don't even bother trying to look at it yourself, phone Audi assist up, they'll take it in for you and most likely leave you a car to use to save you the hassle of being without one.  The phone number should be on the back of your tax disc holder.  

You can't use the car with the coolant warning on, you could do the engine a lot of harm.  Let me know the outcome!

Tech