Gear change problems

Deeps1975

Hello. I own an Audi A4 Avant (manual) and I've noticed a problem when changing gear. I've read a few threads on the web but thought I'd ask you guys for some advice before I put it into the garage to be fixed.

When the engine is off I can change gear ok. When the engine is running I can get it into first/second with a bit of gentle persuasion and once moving the gear changes feel a bit 'clunky'. Getting it into reverse however is a real pain but it will go in with some 'not so gentle' persuasion. There is no grinding of any of the gears whilst changing. One thing I have noticed is if I only push my clutch in half way I can change gear quite easily.

I know it's hard to say exactly what's going but would appreciate some advice as I've recently moved house and don't yet have a garage I can trust and don't want to get ripped off due to my lack of mechanical knowledge.

• 3 months later...

Hello Edward. Yes, had to take it into a garage as the problem got steadily worse. Turned out to be a clutch and flywheel problem and both needed replacing. Not a cheap fix I'm afraid, not sure if I got a good price but cost me about £1200 which included a service.