audi a5 2.7 tdi help needed please new member

rickman

hi its my first time on here so be gentle lol.

ive got an a5 2.7 tdi 2008  its done 157k,  today I accelerated hardish and the orange glow plug light came on and started to flash, it went into limp mode and I couldn't really get over 30 mph , I managed to get home and turned it off.

I gave it a few mins and started it again and the light had gone off, ive just took it up and down the bypass and and it revved ok but im not convinced the turbo was there, when I slowed down it looked like it had a bit of white smoke coming out the back, when I got back home I checked the exhaust tail pipes and they were both filled with like a grey powder.

anybody any ideas ?  im thinking turbo gone but I hope not :(  it needs a service as its been asking for the past 6 weeks , could this have anything to do with it or is there a way to check the turbo ?

thanks in advance..

Hi Rick welcome!  :)

Do you have VAGCOM? Plugging that in and checking for faults would probably be my first point of call as that may well point you in the right direction.

I would think the turbo would be unlikely but you never know. My guess would be either the DPF (clogged DPF can also cause flashing glow plug light and power loss IIRC) or some kind of sensor. Hopefully plugging in VAGCOM should point you in the right direction though...

I guess I don't have a VAGCOM  as I don't know what one is lol.. ive just been out in it this morning and it feels ok I think but ive not really put my foot down. will a code show up on a reader even if there is no lights on the dash ?