Auto Box Fault Help Needed

Paul-H

Hi all

Looking for a little bit of advice regarding my 2004 Audi A4 2.3 Auto

The problem he is having is that every now and again the Gear Selected indicator on the dash will flash and the car will lose reverse gear.

I have done a quick internet search for the problem and come up with a faulty gearbox ECU

if that sounds likely i found this company that claims to recondition the old ECU http://www.ecutesting.com/ for £185

So the question is does it sound like the ECU is at fault, that web site claim its quite common.

If it is the ECU is it easy to get at and remove on that model of car and were is it located.

Anyone used the company listed, are they reputable.

Any other thoughts on what the problem might be if not the ECU

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Paul, I would advise to get any error codes read before you attempt a solution just to make sure, but yes the gearbox ecu or transmission control module can commonly be at fault and cause the "flashing" error you have described.

The only other possibilities I can think of would be either some sort of problem with the transmission linkages (which could explain not going into reverse), or the brake pedal switch that send the signal to the gearbox (there are two switched I believe, one for the brake lights and one for the gearbox).

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on.