Audi a7 2017 coolant query

jjb0800

Hello guys

Just a quick question regarding the coolant on my car.

I usually have to top up my coolant from minimum mark to max every 535 miles. Is this normal for consumption for this engine? I heard that it's slightly more than this but can anyone shed some light? 

Hello Jubel,

I would say any such coolant consumption - irrespective of model or engine - is abnormal. Our humble 174K A3 barely needs anything between it now 6K/year use. 
There is either an external leak, or it is being combusted.

Have you carried out:- 

Inspection for any visible external leakage?

Run the car for about 10 miles, park, get an assistant to rev. the engine to a steady 2000 rpm and hold it there for 2mins. while you observe the colour of the exhaust gasses? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for your reply :wink1:

I will carry out the above steps mentioned and come back with findings.

My A7 has done only 75k which is alarming 🥵

Mine started doing this before Christmas and eventually lost power and overheated. It turned out to be the coolant pump and the coolant regulator valve. if you look down at the engine tray from the front near the radiator does it look damp? The coolant pump is to the lower right, is it dripping?

Hi Tommy,

I don't see any dampness or dripping near the radiator and on driveway. I think it could potentially be leaking from thermostat housing or coolant control valve. 

Hello Jubel,

It could be potentially leaking externally from many areas, so really that just amounts to a guess. If it is due to an external leak  then there is a high possibility that there will be visible evidence of this ( if accessible to the eye). No drips doesn’t necessarily mean no leaks, as the pressure will reduce as the engine cools. 
If this were mine, I would  be carrying out the test I suggested, and if all is well there ( or particularly if not) get it thoroughly inspected and tested by a trusted independent. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.