Key fob problems

regnills

Hi all

I've got a problem developing with the key fob

Sometimes the fob works fine but every so often it stops working. Then it will work fine or only the unlock will work and the boot and lock buttons do nothing.

I replaced the battery about a month ago but changed it again today, didn't make no difference.

Any ideas what it could be.

Wouldn't be to bad but I'm a courier and use the car for my job and there's a lot of times the car needs to be locked

Cheers for any help

Ste

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The spare key isn't remote for the central locking. It's just for the lock in drivers door. I did open the fob and pushed the connection out a bit and seemed to solve the problem. Weird but true

Doesn't have any audi sign on it. If anything it looks like the Suzuki sign. Has the red plug in it where the transponder should be.

So even if I lock my key fob key in the boot I can unlock the door but still can unlock the boot with the central locking button.

A few times it doesn't work. Only occasionally now. Just press the buttons a few times and it works again. So still none the wiser if it's the key or the car

It's hard to tell without a second remote to be honest, but from what you described my money would be on the key.

Perhaps worth investing in a second new remote from Audi and keeping the other as a proper spare?

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Just bought a Audi A3 year 2000 model.

The car won't lock or unlock even using the key in the drivers door. I only have one key. Opened up the key and no battery is inside. I've been looking around on the Internet to see which battery type it might be but the CR2032 is totally the wrong size.

Any idea what the battery size will be? I've added a picture if that helps.

Cheers

James

1489938022765-1479721115.jpg

Thanks Trevor,

Well the CR2032 is to big. I've just ordered a couple of CR1620 batteries. See if these are the right size.

Otherwise I'm off to Audi.

Any idea how much it'll cost to get the key reprogrammed and a new battery?

Or does anyone know who provides that kind of service?

Many Thanks,

James

Great thanks for that Trevor.

Just for info I spoke to Audi today and the battery is CR1620 x 2. Conveniently that is what I've just ordered on eBay. For the cost of a new key and to get both the original and the new key reprogrammed it'll be £168.72 Inc VAT. Not to bad I think. I'll wait for the batteries to arrive then see if it works. If not I'll get a new key from Audi. Cheers.

• Like 1