A4 B8 has recently started juddering in 1st gear

Leebroath

Hi guys, newbie to the forum with a first question :)

We absolutely love our A4 B8 Audi 2009 Saloon Manual S-Line and it's a massive step up from our old Focust ST, I shall never turn to the dark side again!

Ok the car has started slightly juddering in 1st and only in 1st when pulling away from junctions, if you take your time it doesn't happen but I've never changed my driving habits and driven the same way when we first got the car and it never juddered at the time

I've purchase an OBD II scanner and there appears to be no faults, the car recently had its timing belt and pump renewed which I dont think has anything to do with it.

I have been reading into searches on Google and some say it could be the flywheel etc but I'm hoping it's not something in this area due to costs etc involved

Has anyone else had this with their car and have you found a resolution

Hi Lee, firstly welcome to the club  :)

I would imagine from what you described that the problem is something in the gearbox/clutch area unfortunately. Which engine do you have?

Out of interest what Focus ST did you have as I've also owned one of those in the past... What did you like/not like about that?

Hello James, and thanks :)

I have the 2.0L Engine and the juddering doesn't happen all the time which is strange, I have been meaning to do some tests but that won't happen now till I'm back from Offshore

Had the MK1 ST which was an absolute lemon, had 8 previous owners (which we forgot to look at) and as soon as we got it we had problesm practically every few months :(

I have been doing some reading up on it and some people have had luck going into the Audi garage but the problem is trying to replicate it while a Tech is in the car, another thing would this be covered under warranty? Have read some people have explained their slave cyinder has burst allowing Oil to seep through

Couldn't wait to get rid! Im never buying a Ford ever again, had my fair share

Where did you buy it from? An Audi dealer? If it's under Audi warranty then there is a good chance it will be covered providing they don't say it's wear and tear which I would think not.

Sounds like you had a bit of a rough ST no wonder it had 8 owners. I had the later MK2.5 for a while with the lovely 2.5T volvo based engine - I actually thought it was a really good car. The interior quality obviously wasn't a patch on Audi but what a wonderful engine...

Purchased it in July of this year from Audi in Aberdeen and is still within the 1 year Mechanical/Electrical warranty but if it's been recorded with Audi that the burst Slave Cyl is at fault then surely it should be covered

Hopefully when we hand the car in they don't use the, 'if it's not covered you'll have to pay'

If it's the slave cylinder that should definitely be covered. As you've got Audi warranty that should definitely be the place to go first - I'm sure it will be fine. Let us know how you get on  :)

• 2 months later...

Hi James, 

ok an update on this

we just had the car in to the Audi garage and the tech guy went out in it and came back within 10minutes. The report which I have in an Email states that when the clutch is let off....ill let you read it as I've posted it below

Now the things is, we purchased the car 30th July 2015 and I made the call to Audi to report the problem around the 20 January. I've just been reading up on the OFT guidelines and the Consumer Rights Act. Apparently if anyone who has purchased a used car before October 2015 (as they have introduced new guidlines) then as long as the fault has happened between 30 days and before 6 months then you can have the car fixed by the dealer. It does state however the dealer is not liable for fair wear and tear, this is where I have to make a case, although the car is a 59plate its only done 38,000 miles. The judder should not be happening and this isn't normal for a car, which I think is just a bad, lame excuse from the garage!

The Audi garage did state that for them to drop the car and examine was going to cost £400 :-O

so what do you guys think I should do? 

The technician went out with the car for a roadtest, when pulling away from a junction in 1st gear, if there was no acceleration while releasing the clutch then slight judder was felt. Once accelerator pressed then car drives away with no judder.

Technician does not think there is any fault with clutch at this time.

For us to check wear on clutch etc, we would need to remove gearbox to inspect this. If we then found manufacturer fault with flywheel, we could then go on to your extended warranty company for authority. If only wear on clutch found then cost to replace this would be down to yourself.

The cost to remove gearbox for inspection of clutch would be down to yourselfs to authorise.

• 1 month later...