Accelerator Pedal cable adjustment.

FrenchAvant

I have just scanned with a V.A.G. 1552 and found the following fault:

-

Idle speed control (ISC) actuator/throttle motor

Accelerator cable adjustment, throttle valve, wiring, ISC actuator/throttle motor, basic setting not carried out

I consulted the Bentley Manual for adjusting the cable

With full accelerator pedal, I'm supposed to move the U-shaped clip on the outer cable to the appropriate slot to locate the outer cable at the engine end, so the throttle is fully open but just touching the stop.  (so there is no strain on the cable)
With no accelerator pedal there should then be about 1 mm slack in the cable.

But. Full pedal - throttle quadrant is hard against the stop and outer cable adjustment slots have disappeared inside the grommet.
No pedal - about 3 cm of slack.

So it seems someone has changed the cable or moved something, and there is too much travel on the accelerator pedal, which must have max and min stops somewhere.

Next I have to remove the lower part of the dash to even see the pedal, and find out where the stops are, but it's too cold today in the garage!

Bentley says "after adjusting, check the closed and wide open throttle stops" but doesn't say where they are. I can't see anything at the pedal.
(My Alfa has a full pedal stop which screws up from the floor under the pedal, but can't see this on Audi.)

Can anyone help, please?

Sorry, I hadn't heard of Bentley manuals - you learn something everyday as they say. That looks far more comprehensive than something like a Haynes manual I assume?

Found this on another forum - may be of help:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2162078-Help!-01165-Throttle-Body-Module-Control-Limit-Not-Reached

I've had the Bentley Manual for my VW T25 camper van for years, and it is invaluable, so I was surprised and pleased to see on the list inside it that they do paper ones for Audis, including early A4. Electronic versions of the manuals are also available, and for more models.

I also have the Haynes, which is handy and better explained, but the Bentley is much more comprehensive, although it is only really extracts from the factory workshop manual.

Thanks for the link. Curious that different sources seem to give different descriptions for the same fault code.

I think all my faults may originate from the battery being flat, but when invesitigating the cable I have found something not found electronically.

The problem I see is that, as there are no limits set for throttle pedal travel, the cable is being stretched when the throttle body quadrant reaches its stop, this is also straining the plastic quadrant, and there is a huge amount of slack in the cable with the pedal released.

I've been too busy with other things, but may get the throttle cable sorted today or tomorrow.

I think I sorted it. There is a stop for maximum accelerator pedal movement, this being a square rubber block mounted on the support for the brake pedal assembly. The block has two positions, one for manual and the other for automatic gearboxes. It has to be turned on its support so that the appropriate letters are visible - 'H' or 'HS' for manual and 'A' or 'AG' for auto.

For automatics, like mine, with the pedal pushed down against the stop, the U-shaped clip at the throttle valve end of the cable has to be positioned in one of the grooves in the outer cable so that the kickdown switch closes just before the full throttle position is reached. This is to make sure that the kickdown switch calls for a downward gearchange when the pedal is pushed down almost to the limit.

I connected a meter between the switch contacts so I could see when the switch opened and closed, but the switch operation can be felt through the pedal, and there is also an audible click when it opens.

The weight of the pedal itself is sufficient to remove slack from the cable when the pedal is released.