Q7 brake disc question

Shippers

Hi,

I have put down a deposit on a 2013 s-line plus, and very excited to be picking it up next week.

The only thing I noted on my inspection was the rear brake discs has a bit of a wear step in them, the dealer says they would of been picked up on vehicle check if below limits. At a guess I would say at least 1mm wear.

What is the wear limit for rear disc?

Does some one have a tech manual they can quote from.

Thanks

Hi Mat,

Most manufacturers normally recommend the minimum is 2mm of wear. Checking on EBC's site for standard replacements it appears new rear discs on the Q7 have 28mm with the minimum at 26mm:

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/ebc-standard-rear-brake-discs/audi/q7.html

Hope that helps.

James

Thank you, I think I will ask Audi to give me the wear amount on the rear discs so that I am satisfied the disc aren't too warn. However by feel and eye ball I think it be close to the mark and surly Audi won't want to sell a car with suspect brake discs without rectifing it first. 

I spoke to them over the phone yesterday afternoon and as above I asked them to measure the discs and report back to me as I don't believe there is much life left in them. Which the sales guy seemed happy to do (I think through gritted teeth). I have only paid a deposit so far, so they cant fob me off just yet, be interesting as no way can they say it's below the limit as the car has already been through the 145 point safety check, so if they are below I bet they will replace and say they were very close to limit and out of good will they replace. I be very surprised if they tell me there 26.2mm or something low.

24 minutes ago, Shippers said:

I spoke to them over the phone yesterday afternoon and as above I asked them to measure the discs and report back to me as I don't believe there is much life left in them. Which the sales guy seemed happy to do (I think through gritted teeth). I have only paid a deposit so far, so they cant fob me off just yet, be interesting as no way can they say it's below the limit as the car has already been through the 145 point safety check, so if they are below I bet they will replace and say they were very close to limit and out of good will they replace. I be very surprised if they tell me there 26.2mm or something low.

Yes you might be right on that one Mat - as you say it seems unlikely they will tell you that they are below the limit after a safety check as it wouldn't make them look too good! Let us know what they say :biggrin:

Well dealer rang me yesterday and said the car will be ready for collection on Thursday. In reference to the rear discs he said that they are fine and that if they weren't they would have been replaced like the front ones. Also said the work shop love to charge sales for repairs, so not shy of changing parts were required. 

So I didn't get a measurement figures as requested, so do I just leave the matter, and collect the car, or should I take a micrometer with me and measure the discs myself in front of the sales guy? Awkward.....

Take your micrometer with you. If you suspected the tyres where near tread wear marker would you leave it?

I would say its part of your inspection before you accept the car, if its not right and bugging you before you have accepted the car its going to play on your mind until you pay them to change the discs and pads. My guess is that they would pick it up on the next service then charge you a nice £350 to change them

Yes your right, I will check in front of the guy and negotiate depending on my findings.

The link you put up with disc limits, how sure are you that it is Audi limits? Don't want a stand off for them to show me there limit is lower, it would be nice to see the Q7 tech manual.

Don't have a Q7 tech manual unfortunately. That's the limit for an OE equivalent standard disc and I've read in loads of places it should be 2mm. Can't give you anything 100% concrete other than that but hopefully that will be enough for you to go on!

Well collected the car today and after looking at the discs again I and putting a feeler gauge up against the lip there was about 0.5 mm of wear, so half life, and not enough to demand new discs imo.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Really enjoyed the drive home in the new car and the BOSE sound system. Managed to work out how to connect my android phone to it fine. Need to set it up with other half's iPhone 6, is that just as easy? I hate apple products.

Well if nothing else your mind is at ease with the rear brakes and will let you enjoy your new car. BTW happy new car day :)

That's good Mat - sounds like they weren't that bad after all but worth checking. Should be pretty easy with the iPhone - did you manage to get it sorted?

Yeah I managed to sort the iPhone, no bother.

Very pleased with the car so far, very nice to drive. Going back to the dealers on Friday for a couple of cosmetic adjustments they missed in preparation of the car.

One thing I have noticed is the average mpg doesn't seem to go over 25, not that I've driven any great distance yet with a few trips of 4 to 5 miles. Also not really heavy footed, but thought I would easy get low 30 something?

11 hours ago, Shippers said:

Yeah I managed to sort the iPhone, no bother.

Very pleased with the car so far, very nice to drive. Going back to the dealers on Friday for a couple of cosmetic adjustments they missed in preparation of the car.

One thing I have noticed is the average mpg doesn't seem to go over 25, not that I've driven any great distance yet with a few trips of 4 to 5 miles. Also not really heavy footed, but thought I would easy get low 30 something?

Which engine do you have? Short journeys certainly won't help.

Also, are you looking at average MPG or instant? If it's average then it may be worth resetting it as it could still be from the old owner.

It's the 3.0 tdi unit, yeah I reset it and on my short trips it doesn't get higher than 20 mpg average.

I suspect your right and that on longer trips it will climb up.

Yes I guess it's a bit heavy car, all wheel drive, auto, large engine etc. As you say it will probably be a lot better on a long run.

What's the combined figure meant to be?

• 2 weeks later...