GPS activation?

Hi All,

I'm wondering, if someone could help, please. I bought an A6 2012 model recently. It has the MMI system in it with built in GPS. Before I bought the car it was listed that it has GPS, however, just before I drove off from the garage the salesman told me that it actually hasn't got GPS it just has the capability as it needs a (gps) memory card in it and it needs to be activated by an Audi garage. I've looked around on the internet and apparently it costs something like £500-£800 to get it done, which is ridiculous since you can pick up a decent GPS around £200. But in certain places on the internet people are selling these memory cards for like £50-£100 but it's pointless me buying if my gps is not activated. Anyone knows how I could check whether it's activated or not? I don't believe anything the salesmen say as they might just want to make quick money. The car used to have gps for sure as I did receive the box of the gps memory card. Does anyone know whether when you buy a car and you buy gps in it (i.e. activate it and buy the memory card), is the activation actually expires when you sell the car or do you as a person can "carry" it over to your next car (if you happen to choose an Audi).

Many Thanks,

George

• 6 months later...

Hi George...welcome to the Forum

I remember another member on this forum saying the same thing.

He ended up going to Audi to use the standard system and it cost him around £200 to activate the system with new maps.

Worth giving Audi a call just to find out how much and if too much then maybe using a standalone system is the best way forward.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor