230k Miles !

Kirk Dysart

Hello to you all! This Is my first post as Ive just obtained an A3 1.9 TDI SE with 230 k on the clock. I spent the day yesterday looking over it and already I can see why people like these so much. Quality all round and solid.! I was intending to sell it on if i could but I like it so much I'm going to keep it. I wondered if any of you could point me in the right direction with a couple of things.

There are two warning lights left on after switch on. One I think is traction and one brake pads.  if I replace brake pads and top up the brake fluid is this likely to sort one or both of these out.?

Im planning to do the cam belt as the last one has lasted 150 ish. Change the oil and filter but is there anything else that I should prioritise in terms of keeping the engine working as well as it could?

Have any of you experience with high mileage engines. ? I always use Mobil 1 oil in my other cars but wondered is there anything better for Audis with so many miles on. Or oil additives that might help. ? 

The clutch seems fine and the engine spot on I think, given the miles it has on. I t has some bodywork to be done and wondered whether anyone knows an inexpensive bodyshop in the penrith area that could help me out. ?

Any advice appreciated!

Hello Kirk,

Impressive mileage, and as you say, they wear it well.

Regarding oil :- I guess it depends on whether it's using any appreciable amount of oil or not, when using the recommended grade. Do you know what grade was used at the last oil change? If it was the recommended specification then I would suggest sticking with it. Give the engine its best chance by using only quality filters such as dealer part or perhaps Mann etc. I would not buy filters on price.

Brakes:- Inspection and /or diagnostics should point you in the right direction re any brake issues. Again, having been there done it, I would only now go with dealer pads. OK a bit more expensive but these brakes are very good, but in my experience nowhere near as good with factor pads. I think there were issues with a valve in the ABS unit causing the traction control light to come on. You should be able to googe that. Faulty-part  ( about half of ABS unit) was available from VAG. 

Timing belt :- always good insurance to change it and the tensioners etc. Yes, boring! but again dealer part only for this critical application in my book. As an exception you could use Gates, but that would be my only alternative choice. Changing water pump? If you do avoid any factor make. Believe VAG actual do/did reconditioned pumps at a fairly reasonable price. 

Hope some of this helps.

Good lick with it. 

Cheers Magnet, that sounds like good advice. I'll get in about looking into it this week. I think your right about dealer pads. Have found a VAG parts dealer so I shall be getting some work done on it if the weathers ok! Had it out and about and compared to my most days C4, the Audi feels like it's on rails going around tight curves. I bet re- mapping these would be fun although I wouldn't try it on this one with so many miles on.

I've been noticing all the Audis on the road now I've got one. ! I think I'm hooked.