VAG code readers

stu

Right this subject may have been raised before but I was just wondering is there one that I would be best going for as have went on eBay and noticed a wide range with varying prices from 15-100 even though they all seem to pretty much do the same. Ant advice would be gratefully appreciated cheers, stu

dont get a code reader. get a cable off eBay that comes with vag-com or vcds or whatever it is called these days. it'll only be the trial version as the full version is expensive but will be much better than any generic reader.

that reminds me, need to get mine ordered

• Like 2

Mostly the cheap 'scanners' are in fact just 'code readers' but with PC based diagnostic platforms you can carry out a whole range of other functions such as live data, actuator functions, reprogramming/resetting, etc.

Probably best to read what each one promises to do.

If you save up for the RossTech VCDS I say get it.. worth it on the long run so no more call out charges on diagnostics when this kit will do it for you then you can fix the problem your if possible done it many times with my mates Ross tech vcds.

im thinking of getting one myself cause I want to do a few mods e.g. Needle sweep and dim my dry lights as I think it's way too bright. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the free version of RossTech VAG-COM running on a MacBook thru Parallels (it can only operate via Windows). I've used it many times to check and clear fault codes on my old 2001 A6 Avant (C5) and my wife's 2001 New Beetle. The old A6 was running Canbus, so I would assume the software still works on newer models.

The only problem I've had with it is that I went the cheapo-route and bought a £20 connector lead, which is now playing up as it has to be wiggled in the USB slot.

i will be getting the free version with a cheapo lead. i currently have an official lead with the full, latest version on borrow and its fantastic!

still need to do my mods and check for error codes after clearing them the other week