Clunking noise in Engine bay!

Brad-B5

Hi all,

Since having a new clutch I've noticed that after a while (usually in traffic) this clunking noise happens when I've used the clutch a lot, thoughts? also theres still clutch judder but I have my clutch and flywheel changed under warranty but still happens, having my engine mounts (3) and a control arm (1) replaced soon.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the top part of the engine, when its happening theres no change in revs, or anything else.

only stops after taking off, it doesn't go if I lift the clutch up a few times. 

Thanks all

Video below.

20161203_135023[1].mp4

That certainly sounds like it's a heavy clunking noise and does sound like transmission/final drive lash.

One area it may be is Constant Velocity Joint...worth checking this first

Indeed, it's not a huge problem ( I hope) the only annoying thing is the judder on take off but gets worse as the car gets warmer and the knocking noise happens (like in the video)

also I noticed yesterday! it makes that clicking sound when i put my foot down on the clutch in first gear and sometimes second too.

Thanks for the help Trevor

Yes, it can wind-up and give this sound....I would jack the vehicle up with the front wheels off the ground (one at a time) and then rotate the wheel no more than about 30 degrees backwards and forwards to listen for any clunking noises. Do this on the other side as well and if you hear a clicking/clunking sound then chances are its the CV Joint worn/damaged. Also, check for any other play in the wheel, hub bearing, joints, etc. while you've got it jacked up.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on Bradley.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: It's the EGR valve knocking, having a new one installed, must of went when I got my new turbo. so will therefore update again later on with anything like performance at lower revs ect.